Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with a Grieving Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JuliaS, Sep 18, 2013.

1. JuliaS

JuliaS PetForums Newbie

I am hoping that there is someone out there that can help me, as I am somewhat exhausted and desperate. The story so far ... sadly my father passed away in June and his last request was that I look after his beloved bordie collie (who is 11 very soon), a beautiful dog and there was never any question as I love her as much as he did. For the first month or so (after coming to live with us - she is very used to my house as dad used to visit often), she was very down and we did everything we could to give her lots of love, played with her, walked her etc. etc. and she seemed to have settled. However, for the last month, she has taken to barking, crying and whining at 4 o'clock every morning and will not stop until one of us comes down (and stays down). We have tried ignoring it, which is nigh on impossible, coming down and telling her to go back to bed, which works for about 20 minutes then she starts again. Other than this she is perfectly healthy and happy - she's eating normally and there are no signs of distress during the day. I am at a loss as to what to do and am hoping that someone will have an idea ... any ideas would be very welcome.

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Did she sleep in the same room as you Father? B.C just love to be with their owners. She will always look for your Dad even out on walks. But glad she seems to be ok with you.

3. sazzle

sazzle PetForums Senior

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Could she possibly sleep in your room at night? Could it be that your Dad used to get up regularly at the time she howls? Do you have an item of clothing of his that she could sleep with?

Not sure what else to suggest, if he had her from a pup she will be so used to 11 years of routine, only other advice is to stick it out unless she needs the loo. Easier said than done I know.

Although its a sad story for you, its nice that you are willing to look after her in her hour of need. Hope it all works out and you get some sleep soon.:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice