Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with a bolshy border!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lexi-puppy, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Lexi-puppy

Lexi-puppy PetForums Junior

hi there

i have recntly moved in with my mother who owns a border collie and my jack russell has moved with me.
    these two have always got on as we walked them together and they have played together.

all of a sudden the border collie is trying to savage my jack russell and for no reason.they will be lying in front of the fire together and all of a sudden a massive fight will break out. blood has been drawn on the border collie and myself trying to part them.

we are now having to walk around with them both on leads to try and keep some decorum any advice would be great as we wouldn't want to part with either of them

they play nicely out in the garden and when they are on walks it's just in the house they seem to have these arguments
    (the border is 13mnths and the jack russell is 3 in april!):confused:

2. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Seems tht the Border collie is feeling like his nose is being pushed out and another male is invading his palace. \he was once king of his castle now not no more. Good luck

3. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

Do you treat them any differently from eachother? Is the jack allowed on the sofa but the collie isn't?

May be a jelousy thing. Would be a good idea to contact a dog behaviourist to see if they can help you in more detail

4. swinnk8

swinnk8 PetForums Junior

This is the collies territory. You cannot expect everything to be like it is on the field.It is the dogs natural instinct.
    On the field/when walking, they are on neutral territory. if you look at a pack of wolves and a stranger comes into the territory it is attacked viciously and blood is drawn.
    MY mums friend is a qualified dog behaviourist and dog trainer and she has mentioned this to us since my mum regularly visits her house with her dog and the trainer has 2 GSD crosses and it is their territory. Our dog sorts them out as they are dogs and she is a whippet bitch. The two dogs also have their ranking, if the younger GSD cross gets out of control and tries the ranks he is severely beaten by the older dog (not drawing blood).

You need to get to a dog behaviourist asap as if the collie is going this far some sort of method needs to be worked out to stop the collies severe behaviour before he causes unrepairable damage.

5. Lexi-puppy

Lexi-puppy PetForums Junior

we don't treat them any differnetly aT all and if it was a territory thing wouldn't they be same in the garden.they jack russell continuasly submits to the collie but the collie still insists on being vicsous

6. swinnk8

swinnk8 PetForums Junior

They would not necessarily be the same in the garden as in the house.
    The whippet we have and the GSD crosses behave differently in he garden too. Your dog is doing the right thing by submitting, but the collie is taking things too far. This may end up in you or your mum getting savaged too if you don't do this soon, as the collie is determined to re-rank the pack.

As i said before, get a dog behaviourist help. She/he will assess the situation in your own home. You cannot do this over the forum.
    A behaviourist may pick a pattern up that you are not seeing and may be able to help more.

7. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Not everyone can offord a behaviourist

8. RachaelKeisha

RachaelKeisha PetForums Newbie

Hi, Reading through the notes you have put up sounds like a problem I have had to deal with.
    I moved home and had my dog as a apuppy who always got on with my folks dogs but as she became older they was having the odd scrap, these scraps have been getting worse, I have had to move my dog to living upstairs whilst I am waiting for my folks and their dogs to move to new zealand in the next couple of months. My dog is mostly fine with other dogs outside just would go for my folks dogs, after expert advice we have put it down to my dog just wanted to be a only dog, since seperating them she is much much happier as are my folks dogs. please note that although she lives upstairs I have three dog gates to make sure that she cant seak past and she is walked three to four times a day.
    I'm sure its not what you wanted to hear and sorry if that puts a downer on things but I honestly feel that if I hadn't seperated when I did that at least one of the dogs would not be hear now, even though like your jack russell they were rather submissive to her.
    some dogs like being the only dog, especially seen as though the collie has been the only dog for the first (and most important) year of his life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice