Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP!! Why are my fish staying at the surface?

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Dopatri, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Dopatri

Dopatri PetForums Newbie

I have 6 fish in my tank, 4 guppies and 2 balloon mollies. However, since last night, I’ve noticed they’re all swimming around at the surface of the tank. Particularly the guppies. I’ve got no clue why because I have a pump that sprays bubbles so I’m sure there is enough oxygen in there for them. Also my parameters seem ok, my nitrites and nitrates are low. I changed the water yesterday but I added tap safe solution and Tetra safe start bacteria solution because I added a new fish. Also the temperature is 26 C. Is this normal behaviour for these types of fish?

Thank you for reading!!

#1 Dopatri, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

One person's low is another person's OMG! Can you post the actual results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and if you have them GH and KH?

Could you also post a pic of the whole tank?

3. Dopatri

Dopatri PetForums Newbie

Hi, thanks for your response!
    GH is 180
    KH is 180
    PH is 7.5
    Nitrite is 0.5
    Nitrate is 40

As for ammonia, I don’t have tests for that, but I ordered some online so it should be with me in a few days. I’m quite new to fish keeping so I had not properly educated myself on the importance of cycling! I have moved the fish to another tank that is established, and they aren’t staying at the surface anymore so I’m happy with that. I think I need to let my new tank go through the cycle before I can introduce them back. Do you have any experience with cycling? I will post a pic of the whole tank shortly.

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Do I have any experience with cycling? I've cycled a few tanks in my time - and literally wrote the sticky on it:
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/the-nitrogen-cycle.527072/

Get rid of the test strips. They're notoriously inaccurate. Liquid based test kits are much more accurate. API and NT Labs are the cheapest on eBay.

That said, going from those results, they demonstrate my point perfectly. 0.5mg/l nitrite is an OMG! The only safe level of nitrite is 0. Especially as pH is above 7 (the higher the pH, the more potent the toxins), and at 40ppm, nitrate is higher than ideal, too.

Nitrate is like a smokey room. It's not going to kill you (or the fish) straight away, but it's still going to have an affect on their health, and the "smokier" the room the quicker problems occur.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice