Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! White spots on my goldfish

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Alexcholland, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Alexcholland

Alexcholland PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I have a tank with 2 gold fish and 1 moor fish. I've had the tank about 6 weeks and the moor fish was added most recently about 3 weeks ago.Today I found a louse on the moor fish which I removed and a couple of hours later I've found white spots on the fins of my goldfish. No idea what to do! Is it ich? Panicking!

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I missed this last night.

Can you post a pic?

If they're like grains of salt, it's ICH.
    If they're like cotton wool, it's a fungal infection.
    If they're somewhere in between and look more like columns, then it's more serious, and more difficult to treat. Then it's a bacterial infection.

Did you cycle the tank before you added fish? (Cycling involves more than filling the tank, setting up the equipment, and turning it all on for a few days. It involves adding a source of ammonia to the tank and daily testing until ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm and you have a reading for nitrate. This process takes on average 4-6 weeks. See link;
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/the-nitrogen-cycle.527072/

If you didn't cycle the tank before adding the fish, follow the instructions given in the link and add aquarium salt. Using Prime will help protect the fish from the toxins while the tank cycles. It could be that the problem will resolve itself with these simple measures.

Goldfish Basics:
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/goldfish-basics.527255/

3. Alexcholland

Alexcholland PetForums Newbie

I thought I had cycled the tank but I'll read this info in more details. I wondering if the spots have always been there as they are on the same fins on each fish in the same place! Hoping I just didn't notice it before and only did now as am on the look out for more Lice

LinznMilly likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice