Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help.What should i do

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by cavmad, Jan 9, 2012.

1. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

As many of you know i lost Pip on Xmas day. I said i didnt want another dog after him as i loved him so much and it hurts so much but the others are trying to help me demanding food,walks and cuddles.I looked at dogs wanting homes and there is a 4yr old cav bitch wanting a home she is from a breeding place that has loads of cav pups now they have chihuahus as well. Half of me wants to go up tomorrow and get her and then at least she will have a home for the rest of her life the other half says i'm being stupid and to leave her there. I have spoken to my friend that runs an animal sanctuary and she says to get her and if she doesnt work out here she will rehome her.I know that i have to have an op soon but my friend is looking after the rest of my animals and she would have had Pip. I really dont know what to do .Any ideas will help.

2. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I personally would go and get her. Pip wouldn't want you to be sad. I went through the same thing in October/November time. Someone said to me, that my girl wouldn't have wanted me to be sad. I thought that sounded pretty stupid at the time, but I got Katy anyway, and I am so glad I did.

Only you can know if you are ready, but if you think you could offer this little one a home, at least enquire :)

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

You know you will worry about her forever if you don't have her, don't you?

When I lost Joshua, I was lucky enough to be given Diva, but although I accepted her for Ferdie's sake, part of me said no, you will never love another dog like you loved Joshua. But here she is and I adore her. Joshua was special, he always will be.

This dog will not replace Pip, but my friend says that Joshua sent Diva to me, and I think maybe Pip has a hand in this dog coming along.

I say go for it, or you will always wonder.

#3 newfiesmum, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  4. abbieandchi

abbieandchi PetForums Senior

Firstly I'm so sorry to hear about Pip, my heart goes out to you lovely.

I say go for it, no dog will ever replace Pip but it might mend your broken heart. I'm about to send you a PM about the Chihuahuas.

5. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

If you want to help this girl and think that you can, I would go for it.

Nothing ever replaces those who we lose that we love, but having others to care for, and to care for us can give us something new to enjoy and take comfort in, and a new sense of purpose and you can remember the one you lost whilst you develop new precious memories with the new dog.

But don't get her because you feel obliged just because you could help, you have to feel it's the right decision for you.

Hugs - and good luck with the decision...
    Naomi x

6. debs78

debs78 PetForums Senior

I think you should. I didn't think I would love another dog after we lost Willow but getting Lucy was such a good thing for me. She hasn't replaced Willow and never could but she has helped me so much with my grief. I still cry when I think about her but Lucy and Maisie give me so much to smile and laugh about. Add to it that you will be giving her a much needed loving home and I think you should go and get her. Good luck with your decision xx

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry about Pip. I lost my Rupert Bear the day after Boxing Day so I know how raw the pain still is.

I didn't go to the shelter looking for a dog when I found Rupert, I went to volunteer there. But there he was and I wanted him, unsuitable as he seemed at that moment in time. I'd had 2 adoptions fall through at the last minute before finding Rupert and the shelter he was in had previously turned me down as unsuitable because I lived in a flat. I believe some things are meant to be. Rupert and I obviously were, maybe you and this girl are too. Either way, if I were as torn as you seem to be I'd go and get the dog. She will not replace Pip, no dog ever will, but she may well help you heal.

8. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Follow what your heart says, a couldn't say no to those big cavie eyes :)

9. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Oh hun i am so so sorry for the loss of your little one! HUGS i feel terrible missing your post over Xmas :eek: xx

10. abbieandchi

Out of curiousity do you have any photos? I'd love to see what the girl looks like :)

11. LauraIzPops

LauraIzPops PetForums Senior

Aww i'm so sorry! :( Would love to see a picture of the cavvie if you have one? I think they're gorgeous :) Do what you think it right, follow your heart :D It could be fate? Good luck!

12. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I had to let my Nelson go almost 3 years ago. He wasn't even 9 years old. He had been ill for a year and we had been to 6 vets and done everything we could for him. Most vets gave him 2-3 months to live, and he astonished everyone and went on for 11 months (with excellent quality of life for 10 of those).
    But all the love in the world - which he did have - couldn't save him. Nelson was my heart dog, my soul mate... and I could have had him forever, and then some.

When he was gone, everyone kept asking me if I would get another dog. My answer was that I wouldn't. This gradually changed to me saying I would get a dog in a few years.... and then 3 months later I ended up with Bella. She came from a dreadful background and the first 6 months were hard for both of us. even though physically, she got her health back within a month of me looking after her, psychologically she was very damaged... and so was I after Nelson's loss.

Despite my ever effort to get a dog that didn't resemble Nelson (different sex, colours, size etc) many people have told me she does...and I can't deny that I see it too sometimes. But...she could never ever ever replace him, never even fill 1% of the hole Nelson left in my heart. Nelson was Nelson. He was legend. I will love him and miss him forever.

And Bella is Bella. It is comforting for me to know that she cannot replace him, and that is what has freed me to give her a piece of my heart (although she did a damn good job herself of worming her way in).

So after all this waffle (sorry:eek:), what I am trying to say is I think that you should go for it!!:)

13. Tula&Iver~cavs

Tula&Iver~cavs PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry you lost Pip :(

This little girl couldn't ask for a more loving and caring owner than you, as other people have said she won't replace Pip and never will but I like to think that Pip is looking down on you and trying to help you by showing you this girl that needs a loving forever home.
    He will always live on in your heart and memories.

I would go for it, she needs someone like you to love her.

Licky kisses from Tula and Iver xxxx

14. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies i think i will phone later as i hope they will be looking after the dogs first thing will keep you informed what i do think i will get her and foster her for the Barn then see what happens if we click she wont go antwhere that way ther is no pressure

15. Tula&Iver~cavs

Tula&Iver~cavs PetForums VIP

These Cavs have a way of making everyone love them :) must be them big brown eyes :rolleyes: and they sure know how to use them to get their own way :lol:

Have you got any pics? What colour is she? Xx

16. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your loss, especially hard when it comes to timing.

I am going to be cold hearted now though and just ask a couple of questions, trying to look logically rather than emotionally. Any idea how well trained this dog is or if it is house trained? I know with Daisy we had all sorts of problems with house training even at 7 months old as she had never lived in a house or with people. Any ideas of any health issues? I would view it as unfair to the friend looking after your dogs if they had additional problems due to the introduction of a dog with poor training or health issues. Of course if you find there are issues there would be nothing wrong with discussing it with your friend who may agree regardless. I simply wouldn't want to spring it on them.

17. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I'm really sorry you lost your beloved Pip and know what you are going thro.
    It's v early days and your emotions are going to be everywhere.

To try and simplify things, I have a motto in life that I apply to everything. "If in doubt, throw it out". If I was in your shoes, I would do nothing. A decision will come to you whether it be "yes" / "no", or fate takes a hand and she finds another home. x

18. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

well whatever you decide is best.

i do agree with goblin to a degree.

i know a woman whose children got her a cav after her dog had died. they got it from rescuing it from a puppy farm.

it turned out after the woman had took it in that she had been overbred from and was in a terrible condition internally and it has cost her so much in vets costs, plus the emotional turmoil of it. the poor thing had had alot of litters and everything is collapsing.

i would say maybe wait, unless you are into rescuing yourself or in a position to offer help to her.

if you do get her though im sure you would offer a good home.

19. abbieandchi

Any updates on this?

20. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I was hoping to arrange to go and see her tomorrow but havent managed to get hold of them. I am worried as i have found out that they have cocker spaniels for sale as well as cavs, chis and cavx but its not a puppy i'm getting and i already have x breeding bitches i wouldnt get a pup from them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice