Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Two males fighting

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by AmeliaH167, Dec 28, 2019.

1. AmeliaH167

AmeliaH167 PetForums Newbie

Hello I’m looking for some advice here.
    I currently have two males rabbits; a brown and tan (Reg) and a old English (Ron), both of which are 6 months old.
    Until about two months ago both were housed outside in a large hutch with a large run attached (4ft x 6ft and two stories) until Ron (the larger one) become aggressive at this point I took him to the vets to be neutered and was told to wait 6-8 weeks so his hormones could calm down before reintroducing them. As I didn’t have another hutch and run he’s temporarily become a house rabbit over the winter and is being housed in a xl dog cage and spends around 6 hours a day having free roam of the downstairs of the house. I have been trying to reintroduce them but it is not going well and Ron is still being quite aggressive towards Reg. I was wondering if there is anything that can be done for them to re-bond as I don’t want them to be separated and become lonely or to have to buy two females. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

If the aggression is repetitive, then I would interpret this as a sign that they do not wish the reintroduced. Forcing them to be together will cause stress, and may well result in one or both rabbits being injured.

AmeliaH167 likes this.
  3. Lunaluu

Lunaluu PetForums Junior

The exact same thing happened with my two males, at around the same age too. Rebonding just wasn't going to happen as they kept being so violent towards each others, even after neutering both of them. I thought of giving the other one away, but I felt quite attached to both and thought what I can offer to them separately is a lot better than the average in the country where I am. I separated the run, made it even bigger and bought a new hutch for the other rabbit. Now I have found one female for the other male and they are living very happily together. I am keeping my eyes open for another female too that's up for adoption. It's worked out quite well. Of course it's more poo, and another one to look after but it is so great seeing them truly happy.

4. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

When you re introduced them where did you do this?

5. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Irrespective of where the attempted rebonding took place, the repeated aggression is the clear indicator that they do not wish to be bonded. To carry on forcing them together will undoubtedly end in disaster.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice