Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help to Find a correct dog :)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by N David, Mar 28, 2021.

1. N David

N David PetForums Newbie

Hi
    We live in a three bed mid terrace house with a small secure garden. I have 17years old son. My wife and I work full time but we all love to have pet dog but not sure we are taking the correct decision. We can walk him in the morning and my son is willing to take for run after school and again I can take him out after work. Can some on recommend us which bread we should adopt or buy?
    Thank you inadvance for your expert advice.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

An adult rescue sounds like a good fit.

You can avoid the difficult puppy stages and concentrate on settling the dog into your daily routine.

Best to just go with an open mind and see which dog best suits and be guided by the rescue, who should know what each dog needs.

I’m sure there will be lots of Lockdown rejects needing homes, once the novelty wears off and reality kicks in :(

I wanted a small dog really but once introduced to Jack (a 3 year old Greyhound x Saluki) we just clicked and he fitted in perfectly.

N David, Sarah H, O2.0 and 4 others like this.
  3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Definitely go with an open mind. :)

BIB: Same here Milly (Jack Russel Terrier x Whippet) was supposed to be a Bichon Frise. Wouldn't swap her for the world now of course. :D

Calvine likes this.
  4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

You will need to consider a plan for if/when your son leaves home in the not-too-distant future though for some extra dog care.
    How long are you at work? Anything over 4 hours attention your dog will need some attention in terms of toilet break outside or a walk.
    My son went off to Uni leaving us in charge of his goldfish tank, not quite the same I know, but you get the idea! :)

N David and Calvine like this.
  5. N David

N David PetForums Newbie

Thank you:)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. N David

N David PetForums Newbie

Same here. My son will go to uni next year and I will have to take care of the dog. I am usually working about 8hours a day. So still thinking bog is a big commitment.
    Thank you:)

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

That criteria would cut out most dog owners. The majority of dogs are quite happy left while their owners are at work. Dog walkers are a relatively new invention, there didn't used to be a choice. Your dog was left while you were at work and that was that, and I am sure for the majority that is still the case.

A long walk in the morning before work and straight out the door when you get in again can work, but it will cut down on evenings out as they have to be dog time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice