Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Think my Dog is Allergic to new carpet

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tailies, Jul 14, 2019 at 2:48 PM.

1. Tailies

Tailies PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I'm a newbie and been searching the net for hours and still no further forward so need some guidance.. for a few weeks our jack Russell cross chihuahua has been nibbling her paws and scratching so I put it down to the hot weather and pollen, so been wiping, bathing in dog antibac and brushing just enough to sooth..which it did and the got worse at night, then this morning hubbie had a brainwave ... could it be the stain resistant carpet we had installed in our bedroom a month ago.. Could it be?? Coincidence? Googled it and maybe.. What is the best way forward apart from pulling up the carpet??!! Thanks in advance

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Can you cover the carpet for a while (just where he walks)?

You can get plastic slightly adhesive roll that decorators use.

If it clears up, then comes back after you remove the carpet protector, you will know if it’s the culprit or not.

Sounds a bit drastic but better than ripping up new carpet for maybe no reason.

Happy Paws, Torin., niamh123 and 4 others like this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Put rugs down on top?
    New carpets could have residue from the manufacture process that may not be the anti-stain stuff . Getting the carpet shampood could remove remove the toxic stuff whilst leaving the anti-stain function.

Happy Paws, Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Tailies

Tailies PetForums Newbie

Hi Guys, Thanks for the ideas, brought some cheap bath mats to surround bed as a temporary measure to see if they help ..(Couldnt find the sticky carpet film☹️) They are washable so that's always a bonus ..Might try getting the carpet washed but not sure I want more chemicals put into the fibres ..One to look into if plan A doesn't help .. Cheers again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice