Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! There is something wrong with my chicken!

Discussion in 'Poultry Health and Nutrition' started by chicken, Apr 13, 2011.

1. chicken

chicken PetForums Newbie

Hi

Sorry, i am sort of new to all of this, and me and my dad have recently set up a mini-chicken farm. We have six chickens, they have plenty of room, a nice hen house, they are fed layers pellets, have water, and have recently started to lay as they aren't that old.
    One of the chickens has been acting very strange. She is layed down on her belly and has her wings stretched out, her eyes are closed, but she has kept her head up, her legs are stretched out behind her, and she is in some sort of crucifix position. We have checked her breathing, and it seems normal. All of the others are acting fine. I dont know what is wrong with her. Please help.

Chicken xx

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I have only just got my chickens so don't know much at all but have you checked to see if she is egg bound? I think this is something that can be quite serious if not resolved quickly.

There is a good article here regarding this:

Omlet Forums • View topic - Egg binding

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

could just be having a stech like we do

if its egg bound the comb could change colour to a whiteish pink

pick her up and feel around her bum if she makes a fuss when you touch her theres a chance she may be

hold her and put her bum in a bowl of warm water and let her have a soak for a while just make sure you fry her propley

the warm water will help

alos check her crop isnt impacted

if its hot to the touch and seem to irritate her then section her off and feed her only grit and water for 24 hours she will be moody and hungry but this will help get the crop to break down everything thats in there

also if it is the crop keep her off long grass and other things that will cause it to clog up

some times they can have a few days where they feel off like us

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Blimey! Do you just pop 'em in the pot then??!!! :eek: :D

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

:lol:

the cockerel is very close at the min as cant find him a free range home where he wont be in any contact with many people

6. chicken

chicken PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much. Turns out she was "egg bound" as you call it. She's getting better now though.

Thanks again, Chicken xxx

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

glad she getting better

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Poor girl, am glad you got it sorted! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice