Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP!! Swollen/sore and smelly rabbit bottom

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tinks&Pops, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Tinks&Pops

Tinks&Pops PetForums Newbie

Hi, my poor little mini lop Tinkerbelle hasnt been well for a good few weeks now. She started off with diarrhoea which caused a poop build up on her rear end which the vet managed to remove. Still weeks later, no more diarrhoea but her rear end is very swollen, sore looking and smelly. After numerous vet visits and anti biotics, creams, sprays and daily cleaning it seems to be getting worse. She also ended up with flystrike which we caught and treated. Poor Tinks looks stressed, her fur is still shedding and she looks very unhappy, awful to see her like this. No idea what it is thats causing this and neither does the vet so it seems (who is generally very good, has years experience and well recommended). Any ideas or suggestions would be great .

2. Ellie Lovatt

Ellie Lovatt PetForums Junior

probably not the cause but what type of bedding is in her pen? had you used new / changed any products prior to this happening?

sounds awful for the poor girl - hope it gets sorted :(

3. Tinks&Pops

Tinks&Pops PetForums Newbie

Hi, thank you for the quick response. We use meadow hay for bedding, we havent changed anything at all - cleaning products, food or bedding etc. Their living areas are cleaned daily and litter trays changed daily. I have noticed the litter trays have had more urine in than usual too.

4. Ellie Lovatt

Ellie Lovatt PetForums Junior

apart from that is she in good health?
    my cousins rabbit had a swollen rear at one point and vets were unsure - he kept him on newspaper and it did clear up after a while, however his rabbits were kept on wood shavings. might not make any difference but maybe worth a try?
    other than that I have no idea what it could be and seems a mystery if a vet is also unsure

5. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

It would be worth a second opinion by another vet. Has your bun had x-rays and blood tests to clear anything there? Has the EC parasite, UTI infections, coccidia, tumours and mega colon disease been ruled out? What is her daily diet?

6. Bunny love

Bunny love PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Just a thought if u haven’t got one already to get a litter tray with a grid on top sounds like she could be sitting in her urine to much if she peeing more than often and that alone would irritate the skin & cause swelling ( almost like a nappy rash on baby’s) fresh air to the bottom as much as possible & maybe a lukewarm bath & pat dry area after I wouldn’t try anymore creams etc it could just need time to heal ... just make sure everything is soft inside her hutch/ cage fingers crossed for you hope she gets better soon xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice