Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!!! Sprocker constantly pulls

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Keri Edwards, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Keri Edwards

Keri Edwards PetForums Newbie

Hi all, hopping someone can help. I have a 7 month old sprocker who is currently in training. He is amazing within the home but outside he’s a different dog. He will walk lovely for a few minutes but then he will pull frantically to get home. I’ve tried various harnesses and collars to help but nothing helps . I’m so worried that he’s going to hurt himself! Hopefully you guys have some advice! Willing to give anything a go at this stage!

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Definitely stick with a well-fitting harness that doesn't rub and a comfortable leash. Some folks swear by waist attaching leashes for your comfort, they also make bungee type leashes so the lunging and pulling isn't so jarring.

For the pulling itself, I find it really helps if the dog understands what to do when the leash goes taught. A lot of pulling is due to oppositional reflex, essentially when the dog feels the tug of the leash, it causes him to pull against it. It's a reflex, it's not really done purposefully, so you have to teach them to give in to the leash pressure and move towards it, not against it.
    This video explains it well:

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Pulling to get home - is this a new thing or has he never wanted to walk?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Keri Edwards

He’s never been a brilliant Walker out he’s always pulled to get home

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Is that because he is a bit anxious about stuff outside and just wants to be home? Has he always done it, or is it a new thing?

6. Keri Edwards

He’s always pulled. My trainer says it’s because he’s got such a good association with home. I can take him on the field on his 50ft lead and he will run for an hour happy as anything but as soon as he knows he’s on the at back the pulling starts and it’s like he’s desperate to get back! By the time we walk back he’s out of breath and collapses by the front he’s that exhausted

7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

So it isn't to do with reluctance to be out then -thats helpful to know.

Did you try anything in the video O2.0 posted?

8. Keri Edwards

He’s seems really happy when he’s out running on his long lead but the 5 minute walk home
    Is constantly pulling. I’ve tried tips in the video but they didn’t really make any difference

9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Maybe you just need to keep at it a bit more?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice