Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP! springer spaniel eats EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by TheJockess_&_WeeAngus, May 27, 2010.

1. TheJockess_&_WeeAngus

TheJockess_&_WeeAngus PetForums Junior

Hi all,

Can any of you lovely animal lovers give me some advice for a 5 and a half month old pup who will eat anything and everything from flowers, weeds, mud, sticks, sweet wrappers, bugs, plastic and yes, even his own doodoo's. :eek: It pains me to know that he has swallowed them too (well some of them). :mad: If I see him picking something up, I will try to retrieve it, but he's now learnt to quickly gulp it before I've even got my hand in his mouth to pull out what ever it is he's eating :mad:.

He's definitely not an underfed dog as he's still on 3 meals a day. If anything, his meals have to be reduced slightly. He has lots of doggy toys and chews and gets 3 walks a day!

It's driving me mad!:confused1:

x

2. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I had a simular thing with mine at 6 months, we ended up muzzling up while we taught him leave. Can't offer to much advice as I'm getting upset typing this.

PLEASE PLEASE don't let him swallow any plastic, it was the death of mine who got twisted gut. He had surgery but then later tumours were found and sadly they re-twisted his gut and he was placed to sleep.

I have heard of plastic being linked to cancer, cna't ind it just yet but really wish you the best of luck.

3. TheJockess_&_WeeAngus

Awww that's really sad hun. :( Now I'm really worried......... I think getting a muzzle for the time being is a bloody good idea though. Looks like I'm making a trip to Pets at home tonight then. :)

Thanks for that. :thumbup:

4. SpringerHusky

For this heat use a Basket muzzle. It worked for me to use while I trained him to leave things and for many years he did till October he ate some plastic :(

Good luck x

5. rona

rona Guest

Might be an idea to make sure he is wormed for lung worm, he must be picking up some slugs with the rubbish :(

6. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

You're probably already doing this but fill some kongs with food you actually want him to eat provide lots of things to chew that are safe - old socks, chew sticks, toys of different textures.

Check his food - is it well balanced. Sometimes dogs eat their own poo if their diet is missing something.

Consider crating if you have to leave him.

7. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Just to add - Basket muzzle is a good idea however this wont solve the problem.Yes use the muzzle for his own safety but you must try and resolve/get to the bottom of the problem- also be careful when he is around other dogs as with the muzzle on he wont be able to protect himself.:)
    It may just be a phase he is going through albeit not a good one!But when you are taking things off him dont make a fuss of him - eg high pitched voice and talking to him - if your are going to say anything say LEAVE or NO.He may be doing it for attention as every time he 'finds' something you are going to him and taking it off him.Springers are very inquisitive and are usually always 'looking' for things so in a way he is showing normal behaviour but 'looking' for the wrong things!:)
    Just read Alauns post too ....socks probably not the best idea for pup that is prone to eating everything!Most of the time they dont come out the end!

8. TheJockess_&_WeeAngus

9. SpringerHusky

Just too add, Yes the muzzle is not a quick fix but provides as tool/temporary use while you train the dog to leave items alone.

It might be a phase, but it's still important to teach him not to pick things up as you know it was fatal for my springer who decided his training didn't count at 4 years of age.

Although I do not agree that it's an attention thing, dog's don't eat things for attention they steal and show you they've stolen it for attention.

I find the way it helps is a dropping food bits on the floor and giving a stern leave it and remove him from it, but if he leaves it then give him high praise and treat him, never let him have it off the floor.

I now never let my dogs have food dropped on the floor, if I want to give it to them i'll pick it up and either place it in their bowls or give it to them from my hand. It's worked well with Maya and is working on Rusty.

I wish you luck still, a friend of mine found a spray collar worked on her retriever. I think each person find their own methods.

10. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Sorry I should have elaborated but was half asleep at that time of day - I meant make a sock monster 0 lots of old socks stuffed inside another and tied firmly. My pups are at the eating everything stage but so far their sock monsters have proved popular and none have been destroyed.

11. TheJockess_&_WeeAngus

That's a good idea :idea: as I have plenty of odd socks stuffed in a bag somewhere :lol: Finally...... A purpose for odd socks hehe.

I went out and bought a muzzle the other day as suggested by springerhusky, just for when he goes out in the garden. Will he keep it on??? :nonod: hahahaha, but I suppose that's another form of distraction.

Over the last few days I have been really hot on the 'leave' command with lots of treats and prays - so far so good. :thumbsup:

12. SpringerHusky

I used to shove a treat in the muzzle to get 'em used to it :lol: Maya still sulks when she has her's on. :lol:

Awesome :thumbup:

13. leashedForLife

14. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Sock monsters!:lol:
    That made me laugh what a great name lol!

15. lovespringerspaniels.com

lovespringerspaniels.com PetForums Junior

Hi there,
    I know its not a great comfort right now, but my springer did just the same and he did grow out of it. His favorite was tights, and we had to take him to the vet to induce vomiting to get it out.

The muzzling and training advice that have been posted soudn good though.

Good luck
    Anna

16. TheJockess_&_WeeAngus

17. TheJockess_&_WeeAngus

Thanks for these links, they are most helpful. I found myself clicking on a lot of them! :thumbup:

I'm so glad mine isn't the only one then, I was beginning to think I was a useless dog owner as no-one answered my question - "Is this a normal puppy thing?". Thanks, I just hope with using the muzzle out in the garden and a bit of guidance that'll he'll grow out of it. :D

Thank you all for your kind advice. It's much appreciated. :thumbsup:

18. leashedForLife

U are very welcome, hun! :) hope that he improves quickly, i know its a worry.
    --- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice