Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! sold a poorly dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by puggylover, Apr 8, 2011.

1. puggylover

puggylover PetForums Newbie

Hi I wonder If anyone can help. I bought a 2 year old pug from a lady. She is a gorgeous dog but when I got her home I realised she is drinking shed loads of water, she cant stop drinking. Im worried this is diabetes so she is booked into the vets tomorrow. I have only had her for two days and I am very angry with the person who sold her to me. Would anyone know what my options are? Am I able to get some of my money back to help with her bills if she is diabetic? Can I give the dog back? Any advice greatfully recieved.
    I am annoyed at myself for trusting someone, my previous dog came from a rehoming centre and I will always do the same in future.
    Thanks.

2. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

heya i know what you mean that is so out of order poor dog i had the same thing and my pekingese was ment to be 4 but he turned out to be 14 sayed the vet! he was white so you couldnt see his grey hair poor guy, i dont think there is anything you can do now that you have the dog you could always try and contact them after you have been to the vet and explaine what they said and ask for some money back for her vet bills, its allways worth a try. hope all goes well at the vets.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Was it just a private sale from the previous owner or from a breeder? Not sure how you stand for sure, if it was for example from an Kennel club accredited breeder and its a KC registered dog you might stand some kind of chance, but if its just a private sale from the previous owner, then you would probably be very limited. The only thing I can possibly think of and then am not positive about you may be able to take them to small claims court, which would likely not be quick and maybe cost you more anyway and even then you may not have a guarantee at the end of it. You could try citizens advice,
    they may be able to tell you if you have any chance and what to do if so.

Try not to panic until you have seen a vet, it might be something like a urinary tract infection with any luck if she is peeing more too. It might hurry things up if you take a urine sample in a clean dry container.

4. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Does the dog need worming? And what are you feeding the dog?

#4 momentofmadness, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  5. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

There are laws governing the sale and purchase of live animals - however, I suspect in this instance, you would have little, if very little recourse.

If the dog was found to have diabetes (or another condition) and it was proven that the previous owner knew about it - then you could sue them for the cost of any treatment - but chances are they rehomed because they couldn't afford the treatment.

Of course, it could just be fed on dried food and has had restricted water in the past - or like puppies sometimes, they insist on drinking water as soon as it is put down (otherwise they usually spill it :rolleyes::) - so it's quite possible the dog is simply not used to having water left down for her.

IMHO I don't think you can jump to any conclusions without seeing the vet - where you go after that depends on your finances and your conscience - obviously insurance is not going to be of any use - you could try the previous owner, but my gut says if they did know of something, they couldn't afford to treat it.

You could report it to Trading Standards - they might do something (but I doubt it would be anything legal).

The most important thing however first before you even start thinking about money and recourse is surely getting this poor girl checked over by a vet and ensuring she is OK.

6. puggylover

Thank you everyone for all the replies!!

@ swarthy, yes it is important thats why I said in my original post that she is already booked in for today :) 3.00 so fingers crossed she is ok and just loves a drink!

My brother is a vet but is on holiday for a month :S so I will also ask his advice by email also but he is out in the sticks so probably wont get a response any time soon. Yes it was a private sale, and sad to say I wont be so trusting again. sorry to hear about your pekingese its horrible to think that people can be like that to people or dogs!!

The lady said she hasnt been wormed since chirstmas and was feeding her the pets at home brand dried biscuits for small breeds mixed with a bit of cheap canned dog food meat.

anyway lets hope this afternoon shed's a little more light on things and thanks for the pee in a jar tip, I am on the case :) x

7. shells

shells PetForums VIP

have no advice but hope the vets go well xx

8. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Hope everything goes well at the vets - do let us know.

My youngest is a horror bag with water and insists on drinking it as soon as you put it down in his crate - but will quite happily bypass and never go near the water bowls dotted around the house (essential when you have 7 of the critters :rolleyes::)

Fingers crossed she needs nothing more than a bit of TLC and a better diet ;)

9. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

fingers crossed its nothing serious, do let us know when you get back from the vet, good luck with getting a wee sample, :D

10. puggylover

Well its actually worse than expected, ulcers on corneas ear infection actually 8 years old. We are gutted I told her we lost her dog recently and this was to cheer our children up. I am so ANGRY i feel like reporting her to the RSPCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. gillnhow

gillnhow PetForums Newbie

I really feel for you.I bought a Standard poodle from a KC accredited breeder 5 years age he has now been diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy and nothing we can do about it.
    Hope your dog gets better soon and good luck.

12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

So sorry you have had to go through all this worry, especially after losing your other dog. Some people are such evil liars, assuming she hadnt just got her herself in a similar situation of course and didnt realise, its not unheard of for dogs in free ads and things to go from home to home in a matter of days.

However if she has had her a long time, she must have known. I hope yo can get her sorted and she will be fine. What did he say regarding the drinking?

13. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear this, it does sound like you've been conned and it is far from rare when buying an older dog. There are usually reasons why people don't keep a dog and want to pass them on. It really is a case of buyer beware. If it was a private sale I suspect you will have very little (if any) recourse, however, the RSPCA will be powerless to do anything as nothing you have said indicates that she has been cruel and neglectful, just dishonest. If you have any recourse I suspect it will be through trading standards although I'm not sure how this would work with a private sale. You could contact them after the weekend for some advice.

14. puggylover

oh and she needs an op on her teeth because they are in bad condition.

They said there is def something wrong with the amount she is drinking and peeing so have taken bloods for that. They said the scarring on her eyes is so much that she can probably only see blurred! I feel so sorry for this poor little soul and i am seething with the seller that she is just going to get away with it. Thanks everyone for all your concern its a small comfort!! and sorry for those who have been in a similar situation.

15. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Have you contacted the seller?

16. puggylover

She wont answer!! I am trying every hour

17. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

what area are you?

18. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

can you not go and see her? make sure you have copies of her advert.

19. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

I think I seem to remember hearing (not sure where) that sales of dogs do come under the "sale of goods act" so try Trading Standards. Good luck, - some people are despicable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice