Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP SICK GOLDFISH

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Kepinskk, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Kepinskk

Kepinskk PetForums Newbie

Hello, my goldfish recently became very drowsy and lies on the bottom of the tank. Then somewhere pimples (not flat dots) appeared on her head only on the left side. Then she stopped eating about three days ago and stopped pooping at all. But she became quite swollen on the left side. Moreover, something is hanging from under her eye. Most likely she doesn’t see on that eye as well as it doesn’t move and the transparent part of the eye became foggy.
    I put her in a hospital tank treating constipation with Epsom salt and parasites with ESHA 2000. Any idea what else can I do? What could that be? It’s only her head that is suffereing such damages.... help me please...

Attached Files:

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

She might have popeye.

What are your ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels and how long have you had her ? Most problems like this are cause by poor water quality. You don't say what size tank she is in.

The first thing to do to help her is to check your water parameters and post the results. Do a large 50% water change once a day and stop feeding anything for a few days. Get some seachem prime or else some api ammo lock and dose as per instructions. This will remove any toxins. In perfect water conditions many fish recover OK.

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi, welcome to PF. Sorry it's under the circumstances.

How many fish are in the display tank?

It's not a case of might - she does have Popeye. Bilateral Popeye, too. Some fancy goldies have been bred to have eyes that stick out that little bit more, and some are obscenely bulging - but that's not the case with this goldy.

@Kepinskk The thing that's hanging off her face looks like excessive slimecoat to me. It's nothing to worry about in and of itself - it's just the fish's immune system reacting - a bit like our white blood cells reacting to an infection.

Totally agree with this. Go for a liquid test kit, such as the API Master:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/API-MAST...143:m:mus6ISSe6hh_Tugj3Fs3zhA&redirect=mobile

While it's true that many fish will recover in perfect water conditions, I feel that suggesting Ammolock/Prime when we don't know the water quality results and tank size is a bit premature. I'm not saying the advice is inaccurate (it's probably bang on the money), just premature. If ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are fine, then Ammolock is redundant, and Prime just becomes another dechloronator. If water quality is the culprit, I'd go for Prime over Ammolock, as it Prime doesn't skew the ammonia results. A 50% water change won't do any harm, though. :)

@Kepinskk as well as responding to and fixing any underlying water quality issues, I'd keep up with the aquarium salt. It won't affect the water quality results, and could help to reduce the risk of secondary infection. Do stop feeding for a few days, and when you restart, feed the fish defrosted, deshelled peas for a few days. It'll help with the constipation.

I've included a link to more information on Popeye:

https://www.chewy.com/petcentral/popeye-disease-in-fish

4. Kepinskk

Thank you for the informations guys.
    We just changed all the water today morning and put her in 14l hospital tank. The excess slime you spoke about earlier fell off and cleared. However, she started spinning around and couldn’t swim for around 10 minutes. We changed the water in the tank then, added salt and (half doze for second day treatment) ESHA 2000 as we thought that the parasite started falling off. She does NOT eat from 4 days now and she doesn’t poop from 5 days at this point...
    she is alone in 14l tank. Water freshly changed.
    Should I stop using ESHA 2000 for parasites and start treatment for Popeye? Is it not weird she spinned around (now is slowly swimming sideways but not spinning for now)?

5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Aquarium salt will help with the Popeye, unless a secondary, systemic infection has set in, in which case, you'll need to see a vet for antibiotics.

What makes you think she has parasites? If it's the raised pimples on the side of her head, could you get a picture of them?

Has the tank got a filter? Have you got an air pump/air stone in there? When you treat a tank for anything, you really need to increase the aeration of the water, because meds hit the gills hard.

The goldfish is a large, messy species of fish, so they need large , over-filtered tanks.

Swimming on her side sounds like her swimbladder has gone.

kittih likes this.
  6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Are you testing the water for ammonia and nitrites OP. Depending on the results we may be able to give more advice on how to help.

As @LinznMilly says gold fish are messy fish. What size tank was your fish in before he got sick and do you have a cycled filter in the original tank and in the hospital tank. How long was the original tank set up ?

Lots of questions but they will help us find out where the problems lie.

7. Kepinskk

Thank you guys, I don’t mind all the questions. I know you all try to help me. Thank you a lot.
    So, I did not check the water levels. I don’t have the kit... it is my first time owning fish...
    She and the other goldfish were in 16l tank. Two filters working together since about four months, plus air pump for two hours and a half every day (set on a timer).
    I don’t use air bubbles in the hospital tank as when I turn it in the morning she couldn’t swim and was spinning around. I have it in the tank but it’s off.
    I thought she had parasite because of those white pimples and the slime. And today they’re gone. So I thought it was doing something right by adding ESHA 2000.

She is swimming facing sideways slightly which makes me think she may not see no more on the eye.
    She still doesn’t want to eat nothing. After I gave her pieces of pea she didn’t touch them so I took them out the tank... it has been long time (around 4-6 days). How long can she do without eating and pooping?

Attached Files:

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Goldies produce a lot of waste and a 16litre tank is very small. It's recommend that a fancy goldfish needs at least 100litres each as an adult and they can reach adult size easily in a year or 16 months and grow to the size a cricket ball. So you see that their need for space is large. They also need filters that can cope with excess waste.

So ultimately you will need to get a much bigger tank for them. I also recommend you get a water test kit. The one that linznmilly recommended, the api master test kit is the best and it will last a long time for the money.

Without knowing your test results for ammonia and nitrite we won't know whether there are water quality issues. However they aren't uncommon in small tanks with messy fish like goldies as the filters often struggle to cope. If ammonia and or nitrite are present this can affect the health of the fish in many ways. Google for the nitrogen cycle in aquariums and new tank syndrome for more information.

Fish produce excess slime coat for several reasons but essentially it is to protect themselves from irritants which could be parasites or toxins in the water.

The salt treatment can support the fish as they have to work less hard to water via their kidney and it also has an antiseptic effect. Large water changes dilute anany toxins.

Goldfish can happily go without food for two weeks so don't worry about the lack of food for now. They won't eat if they feel ill. You could try a small flake if food sunk directly in front if his nose but if he doesn't eat it then remove it straight away.

When they are ill they can also loose some control of their swim bladder which leads to spinning floating or drifting.

Wishing your fish get well wishes.

LinznMilly likes this.
  9. Kepinskk

Hi guys, thank you two for your help... however, it won’t be needed anymore... we had to put her down tonight... I got up to see how she feels and she was spinning around very violently, couldn’t keep up at all and then she stopped moving at all banded in odd shape.. we thought she died at this point and for around 3 minutes were grieving when she started breathing again (she didn’t for all this time) and moving and swimming. We thought she had some kind of spasm. Then she was swimming in circles, swimming sideways, spinning around... she had one more spasm when she did not move nor breathe at all for some time and we were wondering how to put her down. We knew there was no more hope she was suffering so much... I have never experienced death of goldfish in such manner (you always you know wake up in the morning and the fish is dead and you don’t know why - it was when I was a kid). We felt very very sad but could not help it. She didn’t move but we had to be sure we won’t burry her alive... my boyfriend quickly removed her from water and decapitated very quickly (as he described cuz I was crying in the corner)... I felt very very guilty because not being responsible enough I did not buy clove oil today (we put her down around 11:30pm when everything is closed around). I feel guilty for letting her suffer like this.. we still have one more goldfish, sad he is alone right now. But we’re not getting another one for now at least... and not with this small tank as you said...

Thank you again for your help

10. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry for your loss.

Guilt is part of the grieving process. Be kind to yourself.

You did your best with what knowledge you had. You're not the first to believe that a 14ltr tank is big enough for goldfish, and I dare say, you won't be the last (I had goldfish as a kid too, and yeah - they were in an unfiltered "goldfish"bowl - it's scammy marketing and they do it because they know, sooner or later, the fish will die way too young and you'll go out and buy another one. Should be illegal).

Bending over like that is a sign she was in pain. The uncontrolled spinning is indicative of potential neurological problems. You did the right thing putting her to sleep.

Now it's time to concentrate on your surviving goldfish.

Honour that goldfish's memory by saving its tankmate. Use the grief, and its associated guilt, as fuel. Be proactive about getting a bigger tank and an even bigger filter for your surviving goldfish, buy a test kit and, yeah, some Seachem Prime to keep the toxins away from him. Come back and we'll walk you through the fish-in-tank cycle.

RIP little goldfish.

kittih and NaomiM like this.
  11. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Just wanted to echo what @LinznMilly said. Sorry for your loss.

I also started out years ago with two goldfish in a 14L tank. Sadly I lost both of mine, in similar circumstances to yours. I did get a bigger tank after the first one died, but sadly it was too late. It may well not be too late for your other one, though, especially if he's not displaying any symptoms. So yes, please do get yourself a bigger tank ASAP. Second-hand is fine if money is an issue.

kittih and LinznMilly like this.
  12. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear about your fish. Please get a water test kit and as soon as you can a bigger tank. I recommend you do daily large water changes 25 % ( use water conditioner and make sure the water is the same temperature. That way if there are any toxins you will be diluting them.

Please let us know how you get on.

LinznMilly and NaomiM like this.
  13. Kepinskk

Hi guys,
    You are all very nice and kind to me. Thank you all for the help and I’ll try to get a bigger tank as soon as possible. I’m doing my research and try to save some money (I’m full time student) to get one. I’ve ordered the water testing kit as well. I’ll check with you guys on this petforums about setting up a new one once I get it.
    Thank you all.
    Wish you all great times with your pets!

LinznMilly and kittih like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice