Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Should I put my cat to sleep?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mabtish2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. mabtish2

mabtish2 PetForums Newbie

I need some impartial help; my cat, Mab, is almost 13, the vets diagnosed her with stress induced psychosis a few years ago. When she gets stressed she retains her urine to the point that it is either damaging her bladder or kidneys (there is blood in her urine) and only seems to empty her bladder on our soft furnishings. This isn't constant but recently it is becoming more and more frequent, she had an episode two months ago and before that four months ago. Recently she has peed on our beds 5 maybe 6 times in the last week. We have plastic sheets on our beds although twice we've had to clean duvets/ mattresses. She is a farm cat so there is no doubt inbreeding but she is active, enjoys her food and cuddles.

My mother has suggested we put her to sleep because of her mental state and the harm/stress she is inflicting on both herself and us as a family, she has a brother that lives with us who is healthier but will no doubt miss her as much as we will, any advice? I'm distraught =[

Thank you
    Andrea x

2. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

sorry to hear you are having problems with your cat. Has she seen the vet recently as it is possible she has a UTI or some other underlying health problem which ought to be eliminated first before saying it is behavioural. On the information provided I would also say it is too soon to have her put to sleep. That is only a call though that you can make at the end of the day. There are products available which may help her if it is behavioural though to help relieve her stress which many people have found to be sucessful, although did not help in my case.

I do sympthesize with you as I had a very stressed raggie that used to this every night [sometimes several times a night] for about a year or more. It would normally be when I was in bed as well. He was stressed as wanted to be an only cat. Once this was acheived he was fine

#2 Cazzer, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  3. bluepersianlover

bluepersianlover PetForums Member

It must be hard but i to would seek advice from a good cat loving vet. I personally would find it very hard to listen to head rather than heart.

4. rose

rose PetForums VIP

I do symphathise with you. Cats wee is very hard to eliminate completely. I also know that most cats that continue to wee on beds sofas floors etc do end up being PTS because most people cannot cope with it. Are you able to shut her in a room with her bed and litter tray to at least confine the problem and see how she gets on. It is horrible to even think of a much loved otherwise healthy pet being PTS but I also see your despair, it is always on your mind, checking everywhere. Check with the vets for infection as well. Good luck.

5. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Do you have any idea what is causing the periods of stress?
    I have a similar problem with Josje, when she is stressed she will wee on carpets and on cat beds, and if you leave any item of clothing on the floor, she will wee on it too.

But we find that a feliway diffuser is a great help. The feromones greatly reduce the stress levels and she will go outside or use the litter tray to wee.

We used to have a similar problem with Steffie. As she got older, she got more neurotic and more easily stressed. At first we didn't know what caused it, but later we found out the new window cleaner was one of the triggers. So I asked him to come on a day I was home, and I watched him at work, together with Steffie, so she could see I approved of him touching our windows.

Another trigger was our neighbour starting his motorbike inside the garage. So I told him it totally freaked out my poor elderly cat, and would he please remember to start it outside as long as she lived. She died a year later, but the neighbour was very good about it and never started it inside the garage again.

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Felliway diffusers are very good and could help.

You could also consider using Rescue Remedy when she is extra stressed or when you know that something (visitors?) is going to happen in the house that may set her off. Maybe try to de-stress her before she gets stressed.

7. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

I have a similar problem with by persian, Oscar.

We had two damp patches last week on the sofa, after months of being ok.

A leaflet was popped through our letter box last Sunday evening and our letterbox sticks, it went with an almighty bang and poor Oscar jumped 10 ft in the air. When he jumped off sofa there was a drip or two, then later in week we had another episode.

I use a combination of Feliway and Cystaid capsules. When he has these wetting episodes I up the Cystaid to twice a day, emptying the contents into his food.

I also have Pampers baby changing sheets inside all my sofa cushion covers, and on top of the cushions under his blankets on the sofa, so now if he does have an accident its just a matter of washing his blankets and replacing the changing sheet.

It is distressing for both you and the cat but I would be inclined to get a urine test to check for UTI and speak to a vet as it could be something that can be controlled before making any decision.

8. bluepersianlover

bluepersianlover PetForums Member

Jayne31 what fab advice.

9. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

I guess these are the problems that come with age and stress. I´m sure it´s uncomfortable for you but they are family members, lets not discard them when things are not rosy. Maybe we can all come up with solutions to make things easier for you both.

10. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

When Steffie was really bad, I covered my chairs and the bed with picnic blankets, the ones with a plastic underside.
    If she peed on one, I would simply wash it.

11. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

In 2005 we adopted our boy, he had come from Ireland and somehow managed to have an accident which resulted in the amputation of his tail.

He drenched the carrier on the way home and the first thing he did when he was let out was to pee on the floor.

Vets treated him for UTI. He had some odd habits, would lay on his side and pee where he lay, would sit and lick himself and pee, he would jump up and pee on me, on new boots, hubbys foot in the morning while he was waiting for the kettle to boil. He pees in his food if he doesn't like it. If he isn't sure, he aims right next to the bowl, he is very good with his aim.

Vet suggested he might have nerve damage, however, I suspect behavioural problems to be more likely.

I spent a year distracting him when he looked like he was going to lick himself 'down there' while sitting on the sofa. I put plastic and towels on the places he sat. After that year, he had stopped doing it.

He does it from stress, he will pee indoors, and he pees in his bed, he started it again when our circumstances changed. I have a stack of towels which I put on his chairs and bed, and a vetbed on top. The chairs are covered in plastic underneath the towels.

He gets cystaid when he needs it, I try to ensure he has enough fluids. He is on diuretics now and also his kidneys are failing so he is being spoiled. Having lived with this pretty much since the start we buy the huge size Simple Solution from PAH, and have a black light urine detector.

We wouldn't put him to sleep because of it, we know he is a stressy cat. He has Feliway, he sometimes has Bach remedies.

If his illness gets so bad we can't keep him comfortable or happy then his time will come, but I try not to be stressed around him as it makes him worse. When I am happy around him, he is happier.

So, if there is no medical reason to PTS, and you can care for your cat, then that is what I would do. It is stressful caring for such a cat, perhaps try some Rescue Remedy for yourself too.

12. marleyboo

marleyboo PetForums Senior

hi andrea, just wanted to send some positive thoughts for your cat, poor thing. xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice