Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help should I adopt Peanut!?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by WeeDevilKittyCarer, May 22, 2018.

1. WeeDevilKittyCarer

WeeDevilKittyCarer PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone!
    So i have a problem. A few months back, just before Christmas I found this tiny kitten at my boyfriends parents place. I roamed the neighbourhood for an hour trying to find her owner and just before i headed back, the owner found me. Something was a bit off about the guy but I just summed it up to me getting too attached to the kitten, so I gave her back to him. The kitten was adorable, the cuddliest kitten and was so calm that whole hour I was holding here roaming around the neighbourhood.

My boyfriend's sister has been telling me that the cat has coming around the house and roaming the neighbourhood looking for food. The kitten's owner leaves the cat out side and I suspect doesn't feed it because the poor wee thing is REALLY hungry. I have a huge gut feeling that the poor wee Peanut gets hit as well because every time a raise my hand in the slightest or go to pat it, she freaks out.

I know that this isn't just because of her personality, as I met her only a few months ago and she was so affectionate, even when she freaks out she doesn't bite or use her claws. Every time I go around to their place I bring food (because they don't want to feed it) and try to build trust again with her as much as I can. Now she will allow me to pat her while she eats and is slowly getting less freaked out when i try to pat her.

It is really breaking my heart to see this poor cat sleeping under our outdoor furniture every night (even in the rain) and how different she has become. I really want to adopt her and look after her, but my boyfriend says it's not my place, that she already has an owner.

I don't know what to do, please help!

2. Clairabella

Clairabella PetForums VIP

Judging by what you are saying, it certainly sounds as if she may not be cared for properly by her owners. Do you know where the owner lives at all? Obviously we don’t know of him here, but judging from the conversation you had with the owner last time, do you think that he would approachable so that you could perhaps ask him if you can have her? Xx

I know it’s tricky to say to someone ‘can I have your cat’ but I’m sure one of the others here will have more of an idea of how you could approach it but just wondering if he would be approachable? Xx

You could perhaps say that you have noticed her sleeping in your garden every night, would he be happy and willing to let you feed her or go straight in for the kill and say adopt her lol xx it’s tricky coz if she microchipped then technically she belongs to the man and also as you know she has an owner, then I suppose you’re boyfriend has a point. If they are not taking care of her though and assuming she isn’t ‘wanted’ by that then they may just be happy for you to take little peanut of their hands xx

WeeDevilKittyCarer likes this.
  3. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Do you know where he lives and does Peanut go there at all actually considering it her home?
    Cats are known to vote with their feet and especially if she's being mistreated I can't see her being very attached ...
    As above, if you think the person is approachable then maybe try to speak to them, if not, you could take her to the vets to check for chip.
    I have a feeling she won't have one if she's not even being fed ...
    And if she doesn't, she's technically a stray, which is then fair game in my books for her to be adopted by you.

4. WeeDevilKittyCarer

Thanks Joy48 and Clairabella for the advice! It has all been so helpful, and feel slightly better about everything.

It such a tricky situation. You are so right Joy48, I definitely feel like my cat lives with me because she feels safe and loved, if she didn't I know she would have wandered off by now.

I definitely won't do anything to impulse like you say Clairabella. I might go back and talk to the guy and ask nicely, what is happening and see if I could improve things.

If things don't improve I will take Peanut to the vets and see if she is microchipped :p

Joy84 and Clairabella like this.
  5. Clairabella

Clairabella PetForums VIP

Glad you feel a bit better about it now :)

(Speaking from your point of view here) - I’d personally have been inclined to claim little peanut as my own lol but as that’s isnt perhaps the right thing to rush into doing yet because she has an ‘owner’ i’m trying to think along the lines of how you should do things, the right way lol. I’m praying that little peanut has made the decision already and Has adopted you as her owner already lol. She sounds like she would be much better off with you.

If you hadn’t met her owner before you could’ve gone down the route of stray cat. There’s so many things to consider I guess, like if the owner would really miss her, do you think? Is she a wanted a loved and cat? Perhaps if you had some sort of a conversation with him then you could suss our things like that, that’s what I’m thinking. Sometimes it’s enough to make ur mind up and work out what’s going on, just by the condition of the cat and the home it has come from. Although as you know she has an owner I think you still have to tread carefully for your sake as much as theirs. Wouldn’t want you to get properly attached to her and then he come and take her back. That would be heartbreaking for you :-(. Then from their point of view, if they do want the cat and someone else ‘took’ her then I’m thinking they would be gutted too and also pretty fuming lol xx

I really wish you all the best though. I hope it works out in your favour. Clearly you care for her and have an attachment to her to be feeding her and wanting to take her on as your own :) thank god for people like you, who have a heart and not pass her by. Please keep us updated coz I’m rooting for you both lol.

Do you have any pics of your little peanut we could see ❤️ Xx

6. WeeDevilKittyCarer

Yes you are so right! Thank you so much for advice :)

I will make sure to keep you updated and what happens!

Also will try get some photos of Peanut to show you :p

SbanR, bluecordelia and Clairabella like this.
  7. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I am also tempted to say open your doors and see if she comes in (and stays). She will work out which side her bread is buttered. Unfortunately the previous owner may replace her with a younger model

Clairabella likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice