UK Pet Forums Forum banner

help - scratched wooden furniture

901 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Tje 
#1 · (Edited)
hi guys
you might remember a while back i posted about the cats scratching the wallpaper in my newly decorated room.
my flatmate has just about forgiven me for that but just now i caught Gizzy dangling off of my flatmates new and very expensive wooden bookcase!!!
he ended up kind of sliding down it and there are now huge scratches all down one side that are highly visable!!!

i am going to get killed unless anyone has a neat trick to hide these??? i have until 7pm tonight to fix it

#5 ·
The sticker bit was more of a joke really! :) What wood are these bookshelves? There are different sort of wood fillers you can get or wood stain pens but I fear they will make it even worse.

See whether the scratch becomes less noticeable once you have used some beeswax - otherwise you may need to fess up and bear the wrath. :eek:

#8 ·
ikea have wood fillers in little toothpaste like tubes and they come in a good few different colours, from light to dark... in my ikea they are around the area where the laminated floorings are sold.

If it's an expensive bookcase though maybe better not to do diy experiments with it???? :confused:

couldn't you claim on your household insurance???

#9 ·
hi

well the wax made the scratches abit less obvious but the gouges are still there.
I did show him and he was pretty upset but not as bad as he would of been before the wax and nut thingy lol
so thank you guys

Tje it was a nearly £400 bookcase (i know that is a stupid price but it is huge and solid) but I dont think it is damaged quite enough to claim on insurance. though i might well try to find one of those filler things

thanks so much for the help

#11 ·
Tje it was a nearly £400 bookcase (i know that is a stupid price but it is huge and solid) but I dont think it is damaged quite enough to claim on insurance. though i might well try to find one of those filler things
EEEEEEEEKKKK... why do kittens alwasy ruin expenisve bookcases and never the IKEA Billy type ones. :rolleyes:

I have no idea how insurances work... and generally I would never claim for cat damage (lol, it would be a full-time job for me if I did)... I just happened to have a man from our insurance company in our home, and I was fostering orphaned kittens at the time, and he asked to see them. In my kitten/foster room, the laminated flooring is damaged due to a stream of silly kittens kicking over their water bowl continually. The insurance guy spotted the damage and said I should claim for it. I was honest that it was "kitten damage" and he said that didn't matter, that damage was damage and I was covered for it. Anyway I did claim and they (the insurance company) sent a company to my home, who ripped out the whole floor and replaced the 3 damaged planks of wood. I didn't have to do anything except make sure the furniture was out of the room.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained... it might be worth a try.

best of luck.... and maybe invest in a pair of nail clippers, lol (sorry, I really don't mean to be flippant, I know how much it sucks)

#14 ·
ps Tje there is a argos bookcase in the room they have never looked at twice lol
of course... why spoil your nails on mere Argos when there's much dearer stuff to file your nails on.

when I wear jeans they *never* use my legs as climbing frames... when I wear a skirt or expensive trousers they pounce on me!

I really should consider switching over to goldfish! :scared:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.