Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Scrambled Egg!!!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by zany_toon, Aug 19, 2009.

1. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

Just checked Scrambled Egg tonight (the itsy bitsy little mouse from the nasty pet shop) and he seems to have lost some hair. On closer inspection his skin is slightly red on his back where it has happened and there is a tiny (so small I almost didn't see it) little soft lump, almost like a spot but skin coloured. He is only 5 weeks old so if I take him to the vets the medicine could make him really ill as they don't recommend anything until they are 12 weeks old and I dont know what to do!!!
    I don't think it's mites or lice as he isn't scratching. Toast is really cleaning him though - could it be barbarism??
    Incase it is lice/mites can anyone suggest a natural remedy I can try until I can get him to the vet to check him out as they don't open again until Friday :sosp::sad:
    He seems to be eating ok but is a little cold - I've just put this down to him being so small just now and he seems happy in his sock and sleeps with Toast during the day and he enjoys holding onto fingers so other than the patchy coat and redness he seems ok. :cryin:

Please please please please help!!! Any and all help gladly taken!!!!

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Sorry I haven't got any actual advice but I know being cold is a bad sign in any mice not just the babies, it can be a sign of general ill health. I have a little girl mouse (Trap) who has never been healthy she was bred for the food chain so unfortunately she has been in-bred and left mum too early, she always feels cool to touch and I need to build her up every now and again with baby porridge and the odd mealworm. Is the lump the same size or has it changed, also is the lump warm which could suggest an injury. Hope it sorts itself out and sorry I can't be more help.

3. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

I moved their cage last night after posting the thread and it seems to have made a difference, he was a lot warmer so not sure if it's a draught that has caused him to be cold. Also gave him a fleecy slipper sock to curl into.
    With him being so small I have been giving him a lot of extra tit bits like chicken to help bulk him up but might try the porridge. THe lump is the same colour as his skin (reddish) and hasn't changed at all.

I am begging to think it might be Toast over grooming him. I watched them last night in bed and Toast was grooming him for a good ten minutes or so and Scrambled Egg looked really miserable during the whole ordeal. Phoning to check the opening times for the vet tomorrow to make an appointment just to check. Thing is he really has improved since I got him two weekends ago. His eyes are really brightening up and he is starting to come out his cage and look around.

Thanks for the help TDM!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice