Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help rescuing shih tzu please...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by wiley80, Apr 28, 2011.

1. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

I have just got back from walking my brood in the park and was aproached my a local lad that i know by sight...he asked if i was interested in buying another shih tzu,i told him i had enough on my plate right now but thanks anyway :rolleyes:
    He then went on to tell me that his girlfriends mum has a 2 yr old female that is in pretty bad shape,he then offered to go get her from his house and bring her round to the park..10 mins later he turned up with a dirty,matted little girl that could barely see through the matting around her face.:mad:
    He said if i could give her a good home a could have her...then he mentioned that she was pregnant for the 3rd time and has a huge hernia :mad:
    I really want to help this poor dog but have not got the space for her right now....anyone want to help???

2. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

omg thats awfull cant offer advice but didnt want to read an run someone will come along with expierence has he taken the dog back to the owners poor dog :mad:

3. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

He and his girlfriend are looking after her whilst the the owner is on holiday,but apparently she told them if they could "get rid" it would be a bonus :mad:
    I have his number nd i'm really itching to just go and get her!!!!

4. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

That's awful - could you really not go get her?

Even if you can't keep her and just get her to a rescue centre or something. Surely she'd have a better chance than with these awful owners. Who knows what they'll do to her if they come back from holiday and the dogs not gone

If you do get her I'd ask for the owners number though - just make sure they said this 2nd party could rehome her...

5. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Have you tried breed rescue - they would be thebest place to contact

6. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

If you can, perhaps phone your vet up, and you say know of a dog that urgently needs help and if you bring it in can they get it to a rescue ... that way you get hold of the dog so it is safe, and you get a bit of back up from the vet too ... or one of the rescues might help, if you say you will bring it to them and the like ...

Keep us posted ... btw, where are you and where's the dog x

7. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

Well i just spoke to my sister in law and she gonna do some phoning round for me,rspca,local rescues etc...i'm in Matlock,Derbyshire,so if anyone know of any rescues or anyone that could help around here,please let me know asap :)

8. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

omg thats awfull keep us updated hope you get it sorted good luck

9. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Poor dog, I hope someone can help:mad:

10. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Think id be inclined to take her in then deal with the rehomeing too.. I hope someone can help. :(

11. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Try Kelly-joy on here she does rescues. Many tears do also. try phoneing shih tzu rescue.

12. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Did he want you to buy the dog or was he giving it too you

13. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Was just going to suggest PMing Kelly Joy.. or i think her email is on her profile. She will know how to go about this and may be quicker than waiting for her to see the thread :)

14. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

He did say at one point if i could give her a good home i could have her...so not sure tbh :confused:

15. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

PLEASE TRY BREED RESCUE FIRST!

Breed rescue are in a far better position to deal with this.
    I have listed some below - there may not be one on your doorstep but they are run by volunteers and cover large areas so just because the phone number isnt local please dont dismiss it

Home Counties Shih Tzu rescue
    Mrs P M Read, Abbots Langley, Herts. Tel: 01923 675069
    Lisa Mayhew, Hertfordshire. Tel: 01442 234722

North East Shih Tzu Rescue
    Mrs A Craggs, Chopwell, Newcastle upon Tyne. Tel: 01207 560046

Shih Tzu Rescue
    Mrs E MacDonald, Oldham, Lancs. Tel: 0161 624 3171

Southern Shih Tzu Rescue
    Mr D Yates, Co-Ordinator, Kent. Tel: 01795 472624
    Mrs J Ellis, Chairperson, Kent. Tel: 01795 474416
    Mrs Barbara Parker, Secretary, Kent. Tel: 01732 841138

16. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

I think i will just call the lad now and get some more info :)

17. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Do you know when the owner is back from Holiday? What a horrible situation :mad::mad: Why some people bother getting dogs il never now.

Definately ring up as many shelters or breed rescues as you can, one may have a place. If not ring your local vet's who may be able to help or have contacts with rescues.

If your in a position to take it in just for a few days then do but only if you know your dogs wont be stressed, you have room to keep them seperate and youl have to be prepared for worms, fleas etc which often comes from animal treated like this! My Akita came with lots of 'little friends' which luckily he didnt share with Millie.

Good Luck!

18. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

I don't know where you are but if you need a short term fosterer i am willing to do it.

19. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I believe the original poster said they were in MAtlock Derbyshire - I think!

20. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Sorry i didn't notice that. Im not that far then

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice