Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help relieving cough

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Scooby2, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Scooby2

Scooby2 PetForums Newbie

My 14 year old chihuahua cross has an ongoing cough that is wearing him out.
    He's booked in on Tuesday to get X-rays of his throat and chest and in the meantime they have prescribed some cough mixture and metacam to relieve pain in his ribs from all that coughing.
    The poor thing, he only gets relief from the coughing when he's asleep.
    I am wondering if anyone could suggest something I could give him to soothe his throat in the meantime?
    He is diabetic so honey is a no no, so now I'm scratching my head.

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Would something oily, like canned fish, maybe help?

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  3. charmarl

charmarl PetForums Junior

It could be that your dog is suffering with trachea collapse. It is common in small breeds. My last dog (Yorkshire terrier) had trachea collapse but I did not know until the day he was put to sleep as my vet told me the cough was due to his heart murmur when it was in fact his windpipe narrowing.

rona likes this.
  4. Kirstyanneanne

Kirstyanneanne PetForums Junior

5. Kirstyanneanne

I have a West Highland Terrier with a collapsing Trachea. I have been Speaking to Charmarl (via this forum) in the Past. Her advice is always good. Hopefully though it won't be a collapsed Trachea but something that is easily treatable. I will be keeping My Fingers crossed. Please let us know how You are getting on.

6. charmarl

Hi Kirsty I hope Brucie is still doing well. I tried to link your thread here (so op could see what you are using to help brucies cough) but I couldn't find it via the search keyword option.

One of my dogs has developed a cough. When I took them for their check up a few weeks ago (to book their dental) the vet asked if they have a cough and mentioned trachea collapse which I knew of with losing my last yorkie to that (as you know).

I mentioned Charlie has a cough which doesn't seem to be going. It's not there all the time and mostly when he's pulling on lead (he wears a harness so no pressure around his trachea). The vet wasn't concerned and said it's probably just a bit bronchitis when spraying air freshener etc but it's not that what's triggering it.

They both had a dental on Wednesday and Charlie's cough has got worse. The vet did say he will cough after the anaesthetic but it's worrying me. If it doesn't go in the next few days I'll speak to the vet about it.

I'm not sure if trachea collapse is well known. I hadn't heard of it and my previous vet didn't seem to know about it since he was treating the cough as a heart murmur. It was the emergency vet who told me all about it. I wish I'd known and I could have relieved his cough with correct treatment like you are doing with Brucie.

7. Kirstyanneanne

Hello Charmarl. I did send a message to You directly. I am under "Trachea Collapse" but I couldn't find You. Can You Send Me Your link please.

8. charmarl

I've replied to your message.

@Scooby2 how is your dog doing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice