Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help regarding demodectic mange

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Barry55, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Barry55

Barry55 PetForums Newbie

I'm hoping somebody might have some information for me.My puppy (staffy)has generalised demodectic mange and is getting treated weekly with advocate.Her skin is starting to look a blue colour after 3 weeks of treatment.Is this a sign shes getting better or should I contact the vet and tell him?she's fine,eating normal and playful.Her condition is the squamous form which is just hairless with no scabs or broken skin.Thanks any information will be great

2. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Demodectic mange isn't uncommon in young dogs with immature immune systems, you don't say how old your pup is?
    Alopecia & blue tinged skin are common symptoms of generalised mange.
    Generally as the pup grows & it's immune system gets up to speed this controls the mites, hopefully so in your case.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. Barry55

Barry55 PetForums Newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply.Shes 5 months old,the mange doesn't look aggressive anymore the bald patches are white.I've noticed a blue colour on the surround of the bald patch does this indicate it's getting better.
    Thanks.

4. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

The blue colouration is a common symptom of the infection, not a sign she's getting better. The fact it seems less aggressive is good & as she grows it will, hopefully, improve...

The last I had with it took until he was around 15 months old but he recovered fully with no after effects :)

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Though if it's a blue staff, might it be an indication of hair growing?

6. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

Is she a blue staffy? Mine is blue, her skin is a blueish/grey colour too, expect where the white hair patches are andthen skin is pale pink. Can you post a picture of the area you are worried about?

7. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Possibly, time will tell ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice