Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Read This Rabbit Maybe Ill ?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by xkeeleyx, Jul 18, 2009.

1. xkeeleyx

xkeeleyx PetForums Junior

hi the situation is thiss

i used to have a rabbit but unfortunately no one had the time to bother with her as with work commitment's and other things going on . so i reluctantly sold her to a lady with a small child the lady informed me the other night that she no longer couold cope with her as she escaped and got pregnant by another rabbit the rabbit then had 4 babys one has 3 legs one has no ear's and one has half an ear missing so i have bought the rabbits back and one off the rabbits has a runny eye and i do not know what to do about it ?

2. Missymoo

Missymoo PetForums Senior

Oh gosh!! sorry i have no idea!! hopefully someone will be able to help!! i suggest a vet xx

3. KarenHSmith

KarenHSmith PetForums VIP

Sorry to this has happened. Sounds to me the bunnie may sadly have a genetic deformitie. I would enquire the vets about it, and see what they say - they will properly suggest to see him first though..

4. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

i think a vet trip would be in order. hope the babies are ok. wish they were mine. i have a soft spot for needy animals. they sound like the type of bunnies i would buy

5. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

could it not be mum? some times mums either eat bits of baby through stress bad diet or over zealous grooming, it seems strange they virtually all have soemthing wrong.

Poor rabbit and kits, they dont deserve that can you not help her to find a new home, where is you local rescue? is anyone on here close enough to help?

6. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

You definitely need to take all the rabbits to a competant vet and have them all checked over.
    The deformities could well have been caused by mum during birth.
    How old are the babies now?

7. xkeeleyx

the babies are 5 weeks old now, they all seem ok in themselves but i am going to phone the vets tomorow and have them checked over. iv also noticed with the rabbit that has 3 legs.. her front paw seems quitefloppy as though it could be broke? i hope not.. but my friend said that it maybe kinder to put her down if so, i hope this doesnt have to be, what do you think?

8. xkeeleyx

also.. just an update on whats happenin with all the gorgeous rabbits we have..

im keeping mum and the one with 3 legs (as long all is well with her bless her) we going to call her honey and the normal one just because its a girl (nothing to do with her not having anything wrong with her) shes called destiny. and the other 2 are going to a brilliant home.. my friends.. who apsolutlety adores animals and has vetinary quals... so i know theyl be looked after... im sooo happy

9. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

At five weeks if they have survived so far then to me they deserve a chance at life.In saying that they still need to be checked by a vet to rule out any breaks or the fact that they may be in any pain.
    I am glad you have homes sorted but at the moment they need to be with mum and get checked over.

10. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

sounds to me like genetic deformititys, it maybe that mum was interbred, or the male was her brother ect, i work in a pet shop and my bosses have a disabled bunny where is back legs have crossed together, he also has digestive problems and has been through a lot but he is the nicest rabbit EVER (named frankie) he also has bright blue eyes which i find unusual. but he has a great life and a girlfriend also so i think if the babies have got this far then its unfair to end them now. at least give them a chance and im sure they will turn out to be lovely little buns :D

11. xkeeleyx

oh ye they definately got a good chance at life they all doin fine, just the little girl with 3 legs that i was worried about but im going to have them all checked over.. trying to the ring the vets as i type!

she definately wernt interbred.. wel i supose if the other persons rabbit that got her also got their rabbit from pets at home.. theres a slight possibility but we quite positive that shes just chewed then due to inexperience bless them

will update you on their progres and thanks for your help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice