Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help re weaning please

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by cat43, May 21, 2010.

1. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

ok, kimi's pups are now 3 weeks and 4 days old. for the first couple of weeks or so she was a fantastic mum, hardly left the pups and was very attentive.
    she hasi gradually been leaving them for longer, but this week she is getting as far away from them as possible when in the house ( although she must still be feeding them plenty when were not looking as they now weigh over 6lbs each)
    they are also lapping milk or water, and eating lots ( including pinching mums food)
    im getting the feeling she doesnt reall want to feed them now, as when she does come in shes refusiing to lie down for them , and is going to lie in the other room.
    they did manage to latch on standing up earlier, but she soon shook them off and went to hide.
    i have noticed that she has a couple of small splits in her skin on her boobs , which look like bites ( all puppies have a mouthful of razor sharp teeth) , and shes also sore between the back boobs, where theyve scratched hell out of her.
    should i be making her feed them , or can they be weaned at such a young age.
    i have to add that althogh im giving them very mushed up soaked puppy food , they are also pinching mums minced chicken and full size softened kibble lol

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I added cooled boiled water to the pups food which made it easier for them to eat and they also had farleys and milk :)

3. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

lol theyre not having any problem eating whatsoever, theyve been on puppy porridge as i call it siince just over 2 weeks , and are now eating anything thats not nailed down, but poor old mums in a bad way , with split skin , scratches and the odd toothmark
    plus ive been adding goats milk

#3 cat43, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  4. flufffluff39

Yep mum will have teeth and claw marks with them kneading her :)

5. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I start to wean at 2 weeks 3-4 days depending on their demand. Don't allow them to eat mums unsoaked kibble, they are very likely to choke. All food should be well soaked either with milk substitute, or milk at this stage. At about 5 weeks you can change this to water and supply milk separately in a flat tray. Mush it all up to a porridge consistency. Constantly trim pups nails and you can put vaseline on mums mammary glands, but not on the teats themselves. This should hep to soothe them. It is ormal for mum to get fed up of them they should ideally be on 5-6 meals a day with mum feeding as she wants in between.
    You can add mince to the porridge, but make sure it is well and truly mushed up so they don't choke

6. flufffluff39

I had to constantly trim their claws. But when they got older it got harder to do with the wiggly worms :)

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

If you do it after a feed when they go all limp and sleepy, it makes it easier. :)

8. flufffluff39

Thanks I'll try that with baby tomorrow :)

9. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

yes were fine with what to feed them , i just wondered how long mum needs to go on feeding them inbetween for, as im having to coerce her into it half the time

10. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Just as and when she wants don't force her. She knows best.

11. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

My girl use to feed her pups approx 4 - 5 times aday and always standing up!!! Mum will know when to feed and what ever is comfy for her is fine. At 4 weeks they were on 4 meals aday...... Just keep an eye on weights and im sure all will be well:)

12. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

Mine were weaned totally at 3 weeks old - mum wouldn't go near them, so made sure she had plenty of exercise and cut her food right back to help her dry up and to stop mastitis, a few weeks later and you'd never have known she had had pups, she did play with them but never fed them s do keep and eye on your girl as she may not be feeding them at all!
    Mine were on goats milk with soaked JWB puppy biscuits in it and then stuck in the blender to make soup from about 2 and a half weeks old!!!:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice