Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help.. rash?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tiatortilla, Oct 29, 2012.

1. tiatortilla

tiatortilla PetForums VIP

tia's come up covered in little bumps today.. i was out all day and came back at 7ish and they seem to be getting worse.. and she's itching now. i'm taking her to the vets first thing tomorrow but does anyone know what this might be? gave her a piriton in case it was an allergic reaction to something but it hasn't worked. i don't like it and i'm worrying! :(

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Sounds like it might be urticaria or hives, that comes up suddenly, its an allergic reaction, and lumps can come up all over the body. It can be a reaction to certain drugs, vaccinations, something eaten or inhaled anything new you have used in the last day or so? It can also be a reaction to a bite or sting or something shes come in to contact with like a plant.

3. tiatortilla

thankyou.. just can't wait for the vets to be open! no new food, only went to the beach this morning so no plants or anything much, just seaweed? the only thing i can think is i gave her an extra blanket last night because it was cold, could it maybe have been the material of that?

4. Sled dog hotel

Hard to say, could she have come into contact or eaten anything at the beach today? Been in the sea or anything? I think extremes of heat and cold can cause it in humans anyway.

5. tiatortilla

just been reading about hives and it sounds a lot like what's going on here, but it says they should break out about 20 mins after coming into contact? the only thing that happened in that time was me coming home, so maybe i brought something in with me..
    she seems okay for now though, just a bit lumpy! i'll just keep a close eye on her and take her to the vet asap.
    edit: just noticed what you said about heat.. it is quite hot in here but i did turn the heating off earlier cos i thought that might help!

#5 tiatortilla, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  6. Sled dog hotel

It could be anything, hopefully its just a one off something shes come into contact with if it is that and once he has given her something then it may go down. You may even find its started to subside on its own hopefully.

I remember my daughter having it as a toddler and hers turned out to be fairy non bio, it was really scented and thats what was bringing her up. Once I rinsed through all her clothes a couple of times and then washed them in something else she was fine.

7. sillygilly

sillygilly PetForums Member

Was the extra blanket you gave her washed in anything different or had a different softener added?

8. Sled dog hotel

Just had a thought have you started using anything like a new plug in air fresher or anything like that? They can cause problems and urticaria can be caused by things inhaled as well.

9. tiatortilla

not sure, it might have been. think the time scale is off for that, though as it was last night she had the blanket.

10. tiatortilla

nope! i really can't think of anything that might have caused it..

11. Sled dog hotel

You could be wracking your brains all night to think of things in all honesty and never come up with what it might be. Hopefully as said its just a one off something and it wont re-occur.

12. tiatortilla

i hope so :( it's getting worse, there's definitely more now than earlier, i made a note of how many and where they were when i noticed them and there's too many to count now. poor thing.

13. Sled dog hotel

Just looked to see if there is anything you can do to help theres some suggestions on the link using chamomile and green tea

Dog Hives (Urticaria) | Symptoms, Causes, and Natural Treatment for Hives in Dogs

14. Sled dog hotel

Is she OK in herself, no swelling of the face, or throat or changes to her breathing or anything? If its just the skin although far from pleasant it doesnt look like its too much of an immediate worry but if it causes any other problems it can be according to some things I found whilst looking for anything that you may have to calm the rash down.

15. tiatortilla

thanks for the link, i'll see what i can do!
    she is okay, her face is swollen, her eyes look a bit sore but it's not affecting her breathing and she's not drooling or anything. she was a bit unsettled, i think just uncomfortable but she's sleeping alright now. she can stay in our bed tonight! thankyou for your help :)

16. Sled dog hotel

Hope shes OK let us know how you get on in the morning.

17. tiatortilla

she's alright now :) woke up this morning and saw she was better, then managed to fall back asleep and miss the early slot at the vets.. typical. she's still got a few bumps on her so i'm going in at 2 instead, but it's definitely better than last night so that's a relief :)

18. Sled dog hotel

Glad its subsiding, hepefully that means whatever caused it was an isolated incident and not something that is still present if it was then I should imagine logically that it would still be as bad or worse. I know when my daughter as a toddler got it and we sussed it was fairy non bio washing powder as soon as we changed her clothes and rinsed through and washed all the stuff in something else it didnt happen again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice