Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Help! Raisins!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Olliesmom, Dec 16, 2018.


  1. Olliesmom

    Olliesmom PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    I have an almost 6 month old male beagle, he eats alot of things he probably shouldn't (the joys of having toddler human as a brother).
    However yesterday around 2pm he may of ate at a guess 10 raisins maximum. He also had a day of gorging and stole a few licks of instant hot chocolate, and had roast chicken, gravy and scrambled eggs as treats!
    He was fine in himself and after extensive research and talks with a close friend who knows ALOT about dogs we made the decision to keep an eye on him.
    Later that even he had a cough/wretching episode no vomit just abit of clear phleghm and then diarrhoea which i searched extensively for signs of raisins to which there was none! Drinking and eating normally woken up today seems absolutely fine in himself ate breakfast had normal urine and is having a nap now.. But i cant help but panic!
    Before i have the whole irresponsible lecture about bot rushing him to the vets, save it!
    I feel guilty enough as it is :(
     
  2. JoanneF

    JoanneF PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2016
    Messages:
    10,863
    Likes Received:
    24,213
    The problem with grapes and raisins is that we are unsure why some dogs react and others don't. A great Dane can be seriously ill after one but a Chihuahua could be fine after several. And you won't always see the effects of kidney damage immediately. I'm not sure what you are asking though - you don't want to be told you should have called the vet so do you just want us to reassure you that he will be fine? Because clearly that's not something we can do with any degree of confidence.
     
  3. Olliesmom

    Olliesmom PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am asking for experiences and knowledge on the subject, if he was appearing unwell today ( being over 18 hours since consumption, as im aware the symptoms do not show immediately ) I would have taken him straight to the vets. But as i said within my post he has been completely himself no lethargy, eating drinking and toileting as normal etc. So yes just any advice and as mentioned above to hear peoples experiences with things like this!
     
  4. McKenzie

    McKenzie PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2010
    Messages:
    20,921
    Likes Received:
    21,822
    As @JoanneF said, raisins and grapes are one of those things that you just can’t predict the reaction. A couple of years ago my brother was visiting and he fed by dog some Xmas mince pie. It was a very small amount, but I took her straight to the after hours vet where they induced vomiting and she had blood tests over several days to check her kidney function wasn’t affected.

    I know this happened yesterday but it might be worth giving your vet a call just in case they want to run some bloods.
     
    lullabydream, O2.0 and Olliesmom like this.
  5. Olliesmom

    Olliesmom PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thankyou, i will give them a call later today as im not 100% sure he actually ate them but paranoid mom mode makes me think he did!
     
  6. kittih

    kittih PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2014
    Messages:
    5,851
    Likes Received:
    8,835
    Because raisins can cause kidney damage in some dogs and not in others it's hard to say whether your dog will be OK or not even after this time.

    Several of the bodies organs can sustain some damage without showing obvious ill effects initially. The absence of obvious ill effects doesn't necessarily mean that no damage at all has happened.

    If I was in you position I would give the vet a call and get their advice. It may be they recommend blood tests just to make sure.
     
    #6 kittih, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    lullabydream, O2.0 and Olliesmom like this.
  7. Ceiling Kitty

    Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2010
    Messages:
    12,952
    Likes Received:
    21,019
    The best thing to do would have been to go straight to the vet as soon as he consumed/may have consumed the raisins, so that vomiting could be induced. As this did not or could not happen, he will therefore have absorbed the full quantity of the toxin in the raisins if he did indeed eat them. I'm saying this purely from a medical point of view, not to try and make you feel bad. I'm sure you already feel bad enough.

    As has already been said by the above posters, we don't yet know exactly what that toxin is, how it works, or how much of it will cause harm. Indeed, as has already pointed out as well, the toxic dose seems to vary between dogs. Ten raisins is certainly enough to cause kidney failure in some dogs, but others seem unaffected. The size of the dog appears to have no bearing.

    So, really, it's impossible for anyone to predict whether or not your dog will be okay. When raisins are involved, the VPIS (Veterinary Poisons Information Service - the organisation that collates all toxicity data and provides treatment advice to vets) always recommend taking action regardless of the quantity ingested.

    Kidney failure caused by raisin toxicity would not cause symptoms for a few days - there is a delay while the kidney damage occurs. In some cases, it may be possible that the kidneys are damaged to a point where they don't cause illness at the time, but are permanently scarred and will cause problems later in life.

    If he ate/may have eaten these raisins yesterday afternoon then it is too late to try and evacuate the toxins from the body - but it may be possible to help protect the kidneys and minimise any damage done.

    Speak to the vet immediately. They may recommend a baseline blood test, though bear in mind it's still only about 24 hours after ingestion and any kidney damage may not show up yet. Blood tests from 48-72 hours after ingestion and beyond may give a better idea of whether they have been harmed or not. If not, then he's been lucky. If so, you will be faced with trying to reverse kidney damage rather than prevent/slow it, which is harder and less successful.

    For that reason, the vet may recommend that he is hospitalised for a few days for intravenous fluids from today, to support the kidneys and help them face the damage from the toxin. This is normal treatment procedure for raisin ingestion.

    Either way, I hope you get a chance to discuss this with the vet ASAP. I certainly hope he's okay. If this happens again in the future, I must stress the importance of speaking to a vet AS SOON AS YOU KNOW something has been ingested - sometimes they will just recommend that you monitor but in some cases (such as this one) they would recommend that vomiting is induced, and you only have a few hours to do that successfully - so time really is of the essence.
     
  8. pennyLokiMUM

    pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2016
    Messages:
    433
    Likes Received:
    190
    I can only say my neighbours border terrier ate some raisons and spent 36 hours at the Vet, thankfully they induced vomiting, kept on a drip and there was minimal damage, also choc is not good one either, and not sure about gravy that can often upset the tummy, follow the advice and get to a Vet
     
  9. O2.0

    O2.0 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    May 23, 2018
    Messages:
    10,018
    Likes Received:
    31,557
    It's interesting that we worry so much about chocolate this time of year, but chocolate is not nearly as deadly as raisins - something that not everyone is aware of the dangers.

    Chocolate, especially milk chocolate, small amounts, not even a worry. Raisins though? Vomiting and vet, no question.
     
    tabelmabel and lullabydream like this.
  10. tabelmabel

    tabelmabel Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    8,407
    Likes Received:
    15,709
    My friend's son's dog was left with kidney damage after consuming one of those matchbox sized packs of raisins - they did get the dog to the vet pretty quickly too but too late.

    I think when you know someone personally that has been affected, it brings it home more so i would be so quick to the vet if my dog ate raisins.

    With chocolate - i don't personally know of any dog that have come to harm (I'm not saying i don't believe they can, only that i have no personal experience)
    Just my old dog who ate chocolate regularly with no ill effect.
    So, in my mind, raisins are the more harmful one of the two.

    Hope your pup is ok OP
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice