Help! Raised Hackles ...

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks and Games' started by JuliaLab, Aug 1, 2017.

1. JuliaLab

JuliaLab PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I really would like some good advice and/or tips.

I am a proud owner of a Labrador Retriever dog puppy aproxm. 5 months and a 5 year old bitch, which is a Lab/Boxer mix.

But last few weeks I have noticed, that the puppy gets raised hackles when playing with her or anyone for that mather. They are used to each other, and I have never thought about stopping them from playing. But my bitch is a VERY nice dog, which does not tell him off... she has liked to play with him, but I think she is tired of him playing so rough. He chaises her and bites her tail and bites her hair on the back of her head. I've tried to tell him off when/before he bites her tail and her neck.

I'm just afraid that he will get aggressive towards other dogs? and she seams to be affected, because now when she meets new dogs, she seams less curios and a bit tens :/ she too seam to get raised hackles now...

I'm wondering, is I should take the puppy for walks and meeting new dogs/people on his own, to teach him, without her being around. And as he grows older, take them for walks together.

But what do you think? :)

They are very good with each other when inside, it is only when playing that this occurs :)

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell It wasn't me.

I think you need to step in before the play gets rough and protect your older dog from the annoyance of a puppy. Imagine having someone come into your house, hand you a three year old child you've never seen before and say 'look after him for me'. You wouldn't be too impressed, would you? But that's basically what's happened to your older dog. So she needs you to step in and stop the play before she's getting annoyed. Which means she's less likely to be grumpy around other dogs.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Although i have no wish to anthropomorphise the behaviour, this analogy made me smile :D Imagine then the child being absolutely obnoxious to you and you being too polite to tell them off. That's how many dog are with puppies!

So firstly control the play or yes, you will teach your puppy that bullying behaviour is ok. And as a Lab owner (always with at least two or three in the house!) I can assure you that Labs don't need to be encouraged to be over the top. They need instead to learn how to be polite.

Hackles is simply a sign of arousal and it's quite normal for puppies to display this during play .... especially if it gets rough. It's not aggression. However, as said, I would look to manage the interaction between them.

And yes, you should be taking your puppy out training on his own so he can learn without having the other dogs present.

J

Burrowzig and kimthecat like this.