Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help Ragdoll kitten is a fussy eater. Wet food recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MilkyVanilla, Apr 2, 2019.

1. MilkyVanilla

MilkyVanilla PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone. I hope you have time to provide me some advice.

My girl is currently 9 months old and she's underweight. She used to eat just about anything and a lot too! but now she just sniffs it and paws around her bowl like she's covering something bad. She would rather starve herself than touch any of the wet food she used to eat. By the way, I also feed her Origen dry alongside her wet food.

I started my kitten on a grain-free/sugar-free wet food which I heard was better for cats due to its high protein content compared to most supermarket brands(which consists of 4% meat, rest junk and fillers).
    I used a website called Zooplus.co.uk for most of her wet since the price is decent for its high quality. She was on Natures Menu, Animonda Carny, Granatapet, Bozita, Feringa, Catz finefood, and Cosma(Complete Tuna which she still loves but only fed occasionally). She stopped eating them all except for Cosma tuna.

I am thinking if I should let her eat this specific variety of Gourmet Gold "Refined Ragout" also from zooplus. I know Purina isn't exactly healthy but reading on the ingredients list it contains 17% Protein which is considered high for wet food and provides all the nutrition she needs. She likes it and i'm wondering if I should let her eat what she wants as shes in her growing stage and save myself from all the stress.

I'm also thinking of buying the new Sainsburys "Delicious Recipe" pouches for her to try.. it's said to be grain-free and high meat content.

I know some people would suggest Applaws, or Thrive but I'm on a budget and she's eating a good dry food already (Orijen)

Any opinions?

#1 MilkyVanilla, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  2. Saffy Cat

Saffy Cat PetForums Member

I’m wondering if she is showing signs of being a fish addict? If she is only ok with Cosma Tuna.

Have you tried topper on her food? Maybe you could crumble Cosma Tuna snackies on non fish food?

Edit: I always post in haste. Is she eating Gourmet Gold in flavours other than tuna? It has sugar in it which isn’t ideal long term because it’s addictive. But if she will eat it then I would say keep her on it just to have her eating something wet while you try other options (like trying different toppers).

@chillminx suggested Fortiflora for my cat to get her to eat pates and it works (although it is a probiotic). She will hopefully come along with better advice :)

#2 Saffy Cat, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Summercat likes this.
  3. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

Sainsbury's do a "delicious" range which is good quality and they have a fish selection if your beautiful cat is a fan.

My cat loves them but he's not a fussy eater.

4. MilkyVanilla

She likes to eat all flavours by Cosma, but I only buy Tuna because it’s the only complete flavour. Yes I have tried adding toppers like tuna, her favourite freeze dried treats, but it only gets wasted because she can still smell the food. She’s smart :)
    Only fed her gourmet gold chicken flavour once and she liked it so much. It makes me happy to see her eat so well.

5. MilkyVanilla

Yes! I was already looking into it and planning to buy it tomorrow on my day off from work. The ingredients looks promising and it’s kind of similar to Cosma. Hope she will like it :)

6. Saffy Cat

Ok, sounds more like she could be a shredded food fan. That gets expensive especially as a kitten needs to eats more to grow. Not ideal for a budget but you have options.

Sainsbury’s Delicious is one of the cheapest options for shredded. 52 cal per serve.

You could also try HiLife (individual pouches at Pets at Home but as cheap as 44p per pack in bulk buy on Amazon). 72 cal per serve
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0749XRJRH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seriously Good. 71p per serve in bulk buy. I think this was 44 cal per serve.

Purr and Mioaw are brand new. 62p per serve in bulk buy. 74 cal per serve.

This might help you too. There are other brands but they get more pricey. More around the £1 price per serving
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/the-shredded-food-thread.487994/

I hope she takes to the Sainsbury’s!

But if you can find a way to encourage her to eat pate, maybe a chunky one that would be good for her nutritionally and budget wise for you.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @MilkyVanilla, your cat is immensely pretty and cute! :)

I think perhaps there is a temporary lull in her growth and her appetite is maybe not currently as big as it was when she was going through her major growth spurts. However there are more growth spurts to come still, and her appetite may improve once these re-start.

But I think as you are feeding her Orijen dry food this is making her fussy about which wet foods she will eat. The Orijen takes the edge off her appetite, especially if you leave it down all day for her to snack on whenever she wants.

You have a choice, you can either feed her more Orijen so she gains weight that way, and just give her a pouch of wet food now and then. Or you can cut back on how much Orijen you feed her, so she has a better appetite for the wet food.

This would mean not leaving dry food down for her, but only serving her a portion of dry as one of her meals at set times of day (the amount to be as according to the instructions on the packet).

If you need to leave food for her when you go out, you could leave wet meals for her in a timed auto-feeder. I use the Catmate C20 for my cats and find it very reliable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-C20-Automatic-Feeder/dp/B0002YHUPC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=24RB81Y5ZW3V0&keywords=cat+mate+c20+automatic+pet+feeder&qid=1554239884&s=gateway&sprefix=catmate+C20+,aps,129&sr=8-2

I have found a great way to get extra weight on to an underweight kitten is to feed a little home cooked meat every day along with their wet food. e.g. chicken drumsticks or turkey thigh, or beef or pork mince, fried. Just a couple of teaspoonfuls a time. The high quality protein helps build good strong muscles, and muscle adds weight.

For extra fat (if you are cutting back on the dry) you can add a bit of goose fat to her meals (supermarkets sell jars of it. Cats need fats for energy. :)

8. MilkyVanilla

The thing is she only nibbles on Orijen. I don't keep a full bowl out all day. 2 meals x 1/2 cup of dry to share between 2 cats after their wet meal time so it stays fresh and unwasted. She still prefers wet over dry. She's also not a timed eater either. I feed her at the same time every day but she seems to only eat when she feels like it. The other issue is she doesn't like home cooked meat unless it's from the pouches. I've tried steamed chicken, fish, and beef. She's now eating "Sainsburys Delicious" shredded chicken, and "My star" chicken Mousse. (never a full meal, but it's showing a bit of progress).

9. MilkyVanilla

Thank you for the recommendations. I've given her Hi-life it's only natural chicken dinner to try from PetsAtHome. She wasn't too keen on it. However, she really likes Sainsbury's delicious. She can't eat a full pouch a meal but it's better than not eating wet food at all. I'll continue to give her these pouches along with MyStar mousse till she gets bored again :p

A bit about "My star" It's a brand I found on zooplus.co.uk
    Ingredients: Meat and animal by-products (70 % muscle meat and offal, including 4% chicken), stock (27%), vegetable by-products (1.5%, incl. 0.4% inulin), minerals (1%), oils & fats (0.5%).

Just to confirm, do you think this food is healthy for a kitten? It doesn't seem to have sugar in it. I don't know about grains.

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@MilkyVanilla - '2 meals x half a cup of dry between 2 cats' - do you mean half a cup of dry each cat per day? That sounds quite a lot, if she is not that keen on it.

If your kitten likes to eat her meals over a period of time, you could provide her with a microchipped feeder so her wet food would be kept fresh and moist for hours at a time, and your other cat couldn't take it.

With the home cooked meat, I hide pieces of it in one of my cat's meals and mix it thoroughly so it tastes the same as the cat food. It's the only way I can get her to eat high protein food and keep her weight up. It works!

How much does your kitten weigh? Do you weigh her weekly at the same time of day using digital baby scales and keep a record? Useful to compare over a month..

Re: My Star - some recipes of chunks contain grains, milk and cheese so I would probably avoid those. But the one you mentioned is chunks in gravy and seems OK though I wonder about the calcium content as it's not mentioned in the list of supplements. I think if I were going to feed it I would email Zooplus and ask them to find out the calcium content.

Bear in mind that My Star is quite an inexpensive food, and so may not contain the best quality meat ingredients. But as part of a rotation of other wet foods it should be OK. Have you tried her with the Animonda Vom Feinsten little trays ? Or the Miamor trays? Or the tins of Leonardo?

From Pets at Home etc I find Little Big Paw goes down well with my cats, as do Wainwrights cans of chicken or duck.

11. MilkyVanilla

I feed each cats around 30g of dry a day in total after their wet meals for them to nibble on. It isn’t too much or less I think.

I weigh her every week and she has gained 1 pound per month until last month. She’s turning 10 months old soon and has stopped gaining weight. She’s now 8.8 pounds but she is a ragdoll so a big breed. She’s thin and I can feel her ribs and spine, but she does have a small belly pad. Just a bit more information, when I first got her she was the smallest and light as a feather. The breeder said that she wasn’t fed on her mother’s milk but powdered milk due to her mother lacking nutrition.

My other cat is 3 years old and he’s on a specific diet. He doesn’t touch any of the girls food because he’s a fussy eater himself.

As for the My star food, it’s not the gravy variety but the “mousse” one which looked like the better option and she enjoys mousse types of food such as the one also from Sainsbury’s delicious range.

I’ll try adding pieces of chicken in her food :) I also give her thrive freeze dried chicken as a treat for extra protein.

12. Saffy Cat

Whatever we feed in dry. Multiply it by about 4 to get the wet equivalent in calories. So 30gm is probably about 120gms of wet. So more a meal replacement than a snack unless she doesn’t eat it all?

Orijen is about 123 cal for 30gms based on 411 cal/100g (using “fit and trim”label as an example)

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Quoting "As for the My star food, it’s not the gravy variety but the 'mousse' one which looked like the better option"

Again I don't see any mention of calcium in the ingredients, and calcium for cats is vital for bone growth and bone strength.

It's possible the makers have added cooked ground bone to the recipe for its calcium content, and this is included in the "meat byproducts" ingredients listed. But I would ask Zooplus, to be on the safe side, unless these pouches are no more than 20% of her daily diet and the rest of her diet has verifiable calcium content.

The mousse is also low in fibre/roughage, but this may not be a concern if she is getting plenty of fibre in other foods.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice