Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP! Rabbits found dead

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by alex sissons, May 3, 2019.

1. alex sissons

alex sissons PetForums Newbie

Hi, weird story but help needed hopefully, ill explain every thing best i can.

I had 3 lion-hair rabbits that were free to roam of our garden ( very secure ) for about 2 years. All the rabbits were vaccinated and even had there jab for RHD. They were last seen before i went to bed about 9 o'clock at night. The next morning they were no were to be seen which is very out of character. After a good hour hunting around the normal hiding spots i noticed a small tuft of hair under the mud in an old hole the rabbit had previously dug and covered over. This was barely noticeable as the soil was covering the whole body but only by a few cm. In the end i found all 3 rabbits like this in 3 different spots around the garden. I checked them for any marks or injury's thinking it might be a fox or some thing but all 3 rabbits had no marks on them at all ( one rabbit is fully white and no sign of blood ). The only thing i noticed is they had a small amount of blood coming from there mouth. I explained this to the local vet and he had never heard of any thing like this before. He suggested that they might have been shocked or even had RHD and died from that but all 3 being buried is unexplained. Any help from any one how this could have happened?

2. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Member

Maybe they ate something that injured them as they ate it, and maybe it then harmed them if it was poisonous?

3. alex sissons

yea that is the first thing we thought but couldn't explain how all 3 of the rabbits were burred under soil completely hidden away

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d be more inclined to think a predator got into the garden tbh.

5. alex sissons

Any idea what predictor would burry them without damaging or eating them?

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not really, but foxes will come back for prey.

Even with free ranging during the day I’d shut rabbits/chickens in a secure area before dusk.

Calvine likes this.
  7. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Really sounds like the work of a human to me, I'm afraid, especially if the vet has no idea how it could happen. There are some real sickos around.

I'd report it to the police, just in case they have other similar reports.

So sorry for your loss. ☹️

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Foxes will cache excess prey by burying them like you have described, especially when prey is abundant. The lack of obvious bite marks does not exclude a predator. Cause of death could be due to a broken neck or puncture wounds may be present with no obvious external marks or bleeding.

I would say its likely that a fox killed the rabbits. Keeping prey animals unsecured over night without access to a predator proof shelter will likely ultimately mean that those animals are killed by predators eventually. I am suprised this wasnt the outcome sooner to be honest. Its why wild rabbits live in inaccessible warrens and graze close enough to the entrance holes for quick escape.

Calvine, Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  9. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

You say you had them vaccinated for RHD, is that both strains?

So sorry for your loss.

10. billsfoxes

billsfoxes PetForums Junior

i had a badger come into the garden managed to scrap open the chicken run door killed all but one of the bantams and burried them partially under the straw in the run btw i know it was a badger we caught it in the act nasty thing it was it tried to bite me on its way past

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice