Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP - Rabbit sleeping outside for the first night

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ellie Lovatt, May 19, 2019.

1. Ellie Lovatt

Ellie Lovatt PetForums Junior

I’ve had my Rabbit Hugo for about 4months now, with the summer coming along its been suggested to me by a few friends to move his hutch outside rather than in the Garage where he normally sleeps.

I’m feeling rather nervous, his hutch is secure, filled with hay etc and is placed in a shaded area of the garden.

Will he be okay? Any suggestions on how to make him feel more comfortable.

2. Ellie Lovatt

also, when I am home he plays inside. only at nighttime and when I am at work he will stay in the hutch

3. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

You will need to make sure the hutch is very secure, with padlocks and tower bolts, and is heavy enough not to be tipped over. A lot of the cheaper flat pack hutches sold by mainstream shops are not heavy enough and can be tipped over surprisingly easily. Does he have access to a run as well as a hutch? Hutches on their own are generally not big enough.

Outdoor buns are better in bonded pairs, they find company and security in a bonded companion. Single buns tend to be more "on guard" outdoors and anxious too.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

You don’t need padlocks like bunny geek said, an ordinary bolt twisty lock should be fine

Ellie Lovatt likes this.
  5. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

A fox can unlock a twist catch. Padlocks are recommended, as well as proper tower bolts, especially as pet theft from gardens by people rises. Padlocks are a massive deterrent. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't know my guys were padlocked up. We've had the Cat Killer around my way, he goes after other animals and wildlife, with a few rabbits and guineas stolen from hutches :(

6. Ellie Lovatt

Thanks for this - we are getting him a companion once he has had his manly bits sorted out, was due to get one when we first got Hugo. He has a run, however not attached to his hutch as I have a fear he will burrow out of it

Also looking in to getting a larger hutch for when he has a little friend. I’ll bare in mind to get a sturdy one.

Apart from the locks etc, will he be okay outside?

7. Ellie Lovatt

That makes me feel a bit better - I don’t have padlocks for his cage

8. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

yeah your bun will be fine. the majority of buns in the UK (I assume this is where you live) live in hutches outside, the only thing I would say about keeping buns in the garden is to make sure you still spend time with them each and every day, many people who don't know how to care for rabbits only go outside to feed and clean up after their rabbits and apart from that are left on their own to do their own thing instead of getting lots of cuddles and attention

I would also add to that, bird poop is poisonous to bunnies so make sure you check their run for bird poop to make sure your buns to consume it

#8 Corneal, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice