Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Help! Puppy refuses to toilet outside have tried everything

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Georgia Finlayson, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Georgia Finlayson

Georgia Finlayson PetForums Newbie

Hi, would appreciate any further asvice, I have tried a lot of what has been said in other forums but after a month nothing is working.

I have a 4 month old male lurcher. We live in a large flat, and he goes to daycare with our other dog whenever we are not in. For the first two weeks that he wasn’t vaccinated he was trained on puppy pads (he goes on the 80% of the time). He sleeps in a large crate at night and will always go to the toilet during the night, he won’t bark or hold it.

For the past month I (or the lady at daycare) has been taking him outside every half an hour...but nothing, and as soon as we step back through the front door he goes to the toilet, i then take him back outside to try and reinforce that that is where he is supposed to go.

I tried limiting the amount of puppy pads. No difference. I took them all away. Made no difference. So I’m tearing my hair out.... I’ve taken used puppy pads out on walks with me, he takes no notice, I walk him with other dogs to see if he follows their behaviour....nope. I’ve even spent a whole day sitting at the park with him. He held it in for 6 hours and of course immediately went on return home.

I have no idea where to go from here as I can’t reward him if he never goes to the toilet outside.... any advice will be much appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

I would make sure you clean everywhere with a enzyme cleaner (something like simple solution that cleans away the smell of pee for them) dont use bleach as to them it smells of pee

Has he been to the vets to rule out any medical causes?

get rid of all the puppy pads as this just reinforces him peeing inside.

Its going to be a case of being really vigilante. If he doesn't go when outside if you bring him in you need to pay really close attention to him and if he shows any signs of going take him straight back outside. Tethering him to you can help you keep an eye on him when inside. You can try putting a puppy pad outside to see if that encourages him.

A que word would also help him to learn what you want when you take him outside. If he inst used to going to the toilet outside hes not going to know what he needs to do when outside. We started with the rule you only go back in when you have been - this meant alot of me standing outside in the rain for hours and hours.

If he goes inside you can try to distract him and take him straight outside to finish and then reward. If he goes inside and you miss it just clean it up and dont make a big deal of it. Telling the dog off or making a big deal can cause the dog to sneak away to toilet inside and that will make it a even harder issue to solve.

3. Georgia Finlayson

Hi, thank you! I’ve done the same in terms of standing outside. Yesterday I was outside for over 5 hours I even take water with me for him to drink to make him need to pee more but he is so stubborn and will not go, I have him in one room with me all the time and even if he’s in the middle of peeing I pick him up rush him outside and he will stop and just sit and look at me confused he won’t continue to pee as soon as I put him down outside so I can’t reward :(
    If I stay out there waiting for him to go to the toilet him will just go to sleep at my feet!

I will get the whole place deep cleaned so there is no scent for him to smell and I will definitely start with a que word because that is the one thing I haven’t done, hopefully that will be a start to the solution. Thank you!

4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I agree with the getting rid of puppy pads, IMO they just confuse dogs as it makes them think it's OK to go inside and then when you decide you only want them to go outside they don't understand!

One thing to try would be, if he goes in the house again, then soak up the wee with a puppy pad and put it outside. Then take him out to the puppy pad. Or if he goes on a puppy pad again then just take that outside! It will smell like him so he may think that that is a wee spot and encourage him to go outside. You can then give loads of praise.

Unfortunately I think it's going to take a lot of work and patience with this one! Like above, be vigilant when you're indoors with him and any time he looks like he needs to go take him outside and wait for him go. Make sure you clean spots where he has wee'd really well as the smell will make him want to go there again. .If he wees as soon as he's brought back in could you bring him back in and then take him straight back out again?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Use a puppy pad one last time in the house, then take it out into the garden and leave it there. Then take him to it every half hour when you think he might need to go. Between these trips out, have him closely tied to your belt so he can't toilet in the house.

Another thing to do is, one morning when you have the day off and can be with him all the time, give him a large meal first thing in the morning with quite a bit of warm water mixed in. The immediately take him out for a walk - a long one - and don't go home until he's toileted (and been praised to the skies for doing so). You may well need to take a flask, a couple of packets of sandwiches and a rain coat.

By using the puppy pads, you've taught him that you want him to toilet indoors. Now you have to get that idea out of his head and a new one in. It's much better not to let them think toileting indoors is OK in the first place.

6. Georgia Finlayson

Hi thanks for the advice, I agree but due to not having a garden puppy pads were the only option as I had him for three weeks before he was fully vaccinated! So I do agree it’s added extra confusion. But will try everything suggested and hope things change over this month!!

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Is he crate trained? If so, does he pee in his crate?

8. Georgia Finlayson

He goes to the toilet in his crate at night, he doesn’t tell me that he needs to go so I’m not able to let him out. He goes in his crate at 10pm and comes out at 6am and I feed him at 5pm so he goes to the toilet before going to sleep. But that makes now difference tbh!

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Has he been scolded for accidents as that can make them want to go secretly?

If he is going in the night maybe set an alarm to take him out?

Won he wee on a walk? If he will, take him for several short ones so he gets in the habit, then you can praise etc.

I’m surprised he doesn’t cover your other dog’s wee.

Sometimes they will cover a human wee so pour some where you want him to go and that might encourage him.

Torin. likes this.
  10. Georgia Finlayson

No he doesn’t get scolded I just ignore him and clean it up. And he will go to the toilet in the house in front of me so I dnt think he’s trying to hide it at all.
    And no he refuses to wee on a walk, I went to the park yesterday for 4 hours and he won’t go, but immediately on return home he goes literally on the carpet as we walk through the door like he’s desperate cos he’s been holding it!!!!!

I’ve already decided today to stay outside with him until he goes, even if it’s for 8hours as I dnt think he can possibly hold his bladder for that long, then hopefully I can reward him

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  11. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

He isn't being stubborn - quite simply you have inadvertently taught him toilet training in reverse. So he thinks that you go out for a walk/play outside but you pee inside. This will in part be due to the puppy pads (I understand why you used them) and probably going to Day Care when so young (and not toilet trained). So quite simply you have to start again .........

Personally I would look to spend an intensive few days taking him out every time he wakes, every time he has a drink/eats etc etc just as you would a 9 week old puppy. No puppy pads at all. I would spend short times out with him on these visits and take him near trees/where other dogs have pee'd etc. and use a key word (wee wee). After 10 mins you go back in but pup stays with you on the lead. (Therefore no freedom given to wee indoors). And 15 mins later you try again ............and so on. But these must be stress free visits.

It might also be a good idea to chat it through with your Vet who may suggest a Diuretic. Does your dog drink enough? Not going to toilet for very long periods is not good for a puppy of 16 weeks and may cause kidney malfunction or a uti. Natural diuretics are foods like - bananas, carrots and melons ...and even sprouts. All are ok if given in small quantities. But maybe chat with your Vet.

Obviously you will have a couple of longer walks and walking with an older dog may help to get that first outdoor wee.

J

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Really? What's stopping you? The sensible thing is to take him out whether he tells you he needs to go or not. If you wait for him to learn to tell you he needs to go (and some dogs never do that), it's going to be a very long time before he stops peeing in the house. It's your responsibility as his owner to take him out regularly and make sure he's comfortable.

Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice