Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help! Poorly sticky.

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Tokay, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Tokay

Tokay PetForums Newbie

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with one of my Indian stick insects? It`s head is curled up underneath it`s body, and actually touching it`s abdomen. I left it alone for the first day, suspecting it might be dead but not wanting to be too hasty. The next day I was so sure he must be dead I was about to dispose of him, when he started to move just his legs. I even prodded him again incase it had been a case of wishful thinking on my part and he started to wave his legs about again, so I`ve put him back in his tank but he`s been in this same position now for 3 days. Is he just having a bad moult and probably won`t make it anyway? The other sticky in with him is fine and they are fed on bramble stood in a shallow bowl of water. They are approximately 4 months old.

2. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

When a stick insect sheds it skin, it curls its head round like you describe to start the moulting process. This usually takes about ten minutes. Sometimes things go wrong and the stick insect cannot complete the process successfully and so dies. (Dying can take a few days). Unfortunately, as your stick insect has been like this for 3 days, it's not going to make it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tokay

Tokay PetForums Newbie

Thankyou for replying. He has, sadly, died. I did find a couple of tiny caterpillars in his tank (those kind that wrap the leaf around them and make a silky web) and wondered if they might have contributed to his difficulty in shedding in some way. Incidently he did pass some faeces when he was dying that looked like it had some of this silky web in it. I`ll make sure I check and wash any bramble leaves thoroughly from now on, just incase.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice