Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help - poorly little kitten - Pro-Kolin Enterogenic

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Scribbles&Digby, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Scribbles&Digby

Scribbles&Digby PetForums Newbie

Sorry for the long post, but this is my first post and I feel it is best to give the details up front - apologies if it is TMI!
    One of my two little kittens (supposedly from the same litter but we have our suspicions) has always been on the small side compared to the other. He has been through the mill recently with multiple vet trips. First it was cat acne, for which he was given a pink liquid we have to dilute and wash the chin with. Then it was a bout of diarrhoea. Scribbles has had soft stools before, particularly if food is changed in any way (even between the standard Felix and Felix as good as it looks). I worried he might be stressed, competing with our other kitten, but often Scribbles is the one who starts the fights and pushed the larger cat away from the food - so he seems to win all the battles. Then horror struck... after a particularly wet toileting I checked he didn't need help to clean himself and found he had a small anal prolapse. Freaked out, checked the web and it said it can happen when a kitten strains too much but normally goes back in on its own... it did, and I calmed down, but then it popped out again as he walked up the ramp to his feed station - cue a worried trip to the vet.
    He was given a paste and pills to have twice a day and we had to feed just boiled chicken in 5/6 small portions a day... This seemed to clear it up and he happily went back to pouches. By this time Scribbles was finally big enough to get neutered - his brother Digby having been neutered maybe a month or so earlier! I had hoped this would reduce any competitive stress, but it seems after the surgery the diarrhoea has started again.
    First, whilst still at the vet... I put this down to them feeding him a different food to what he is used to, but then all day the following day there was loose stools and lots of them. And he had another anal prolapse. So I decided enough was enough, it could not be nice or comfortable for him and he wasn't doing it in the litter tray (probably associating it with painful eliminations.
    A few checks later, including the dreaded finger check of the anal sacks and we are no clearer on the problem, we know the prolapse is because he is straining to toilet, but what is causing the diarrhoea we do not know... possibly just a sensitive kitten. This time the meds are a pouch of powder - Pro-Kolin Enterogenic. For cats under 5kg it is supposed to be half a pouch a day (bearing in mind my kitten is just under 2kg fasting weight the vet said half a pouch would be ok.)
    Since giving him the powder he has only urinated in the litter tray, no stools, solid, soft or otherwise...
    I am now worried that he might be a little constipated and this might lead to bigger problems with straining - but I am at a loss as to what to do, withhold food, continue feeding but stop meds, deliberately try something which would usually cause looser stools, or just wait and see what comes out of the poor little mite...

Any help, advise or tales of similar woes would be very much appreciated... I am a very panicky kitten mum, but what else can I be, when he has been so poorly since the start and can't tell me what is wrong!

P.S. even with the loose stools, cat acne and now lack of stools he has been playful, greedy and attentive, he loves nothing more than to eat, play with the wrong end of any stick and dangly thing toy, and to cuddle up in the tightest space he can find!

2. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Has he had his stool tested for parasites etc?

I'm such a broken record with this on these forums, as our experience of getting a kitten from someone less than honest very nearly resulted in tragedy and all due to a very treatable parasitic infection. But you sound like you don't entirely trust the people you got Scribbles from - if they have misled regarding what litter etc - and indeed if they have multiple litters I too would worry about how honest they have been, and how "well" the kittens were kept? My kitten had a particularly unusual parasite - contaminated water, close living conditions etc all very strongly suggested with this diagnosis - and it just told me all I needed to know about how he was kept.

With perpetual loose stools, my first thought is parasite and second could be an intolerance to something in his food (getting better on cooked chicken covers both bases as it's easily digested and slows things down, plus you are eliminating all the other "stuff" that gets put in cat food so any intolerances or allergies will settle. Unless they're allergic to chicken :D)

If you cure the reason for the loose stools - his prolapse problems should ease, too - so I'd be pushing for finding the actual cause, as there will be one. Kittens and cats don't just have loose motions for no reason :)

BTW: never withhold food. Kittens can get very poorly very quickly, so keep feeding him!

KoolK likes this.
  3. Scribbles&Digby

Scribbles&Digby PetForums Newbie

He was fine to begin with, and I saw both cat parents and his litter mates, though I didn't see the whole house... My doubts are more surrounding his age - could just be that he is a runt but he is smaller than his brother and seemed to be a couple of weeks or so behind in the learning curves... All vet checks came back clear when we took them both for the general check ups - they only mentioned that he was a little on the small side, but he is putting on weight etc so they weren't too worried about it.

We are pushing the vet to find out what is causing the diarrhoea, I certainly want to fix the cause and not just the symptoms. luckily we have a very good vet just round the corner who have accommodated us at every turn, even just before they closed up on Friday night...
    We were meant to be taking a stool sample to the vet today to get it sent for checking (Friday's visit was rushed and they prefer to have a fresh sample at the start of the week so it doesn't 'go off' before it can get through all the testing, however, with the powder the vet gave us we haven't been able to get a sample as the litter tray has been empty! I am hoping that I will find something when I get home from work...
    I did give him his usual feed this morning, without any of the powder, so I just hope he isn't too hard!

SuboJvR likes this.
  4. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Fab - glad to hear you're getting the samples done. :)

With the prolapse thing, hopefully if he does do a more formed stool it will be easier for him to pass although I know it's a worry if it's too formed. Basically what happens with diarrhoea though is that the lining of the bowel gets so inflamed - so including up to the anus/rectum - and this inflammation causes swelling. So that's why it gets so sore, and the swelling can protrude out. So it can either be straining, or the swelling, or both. And with some time having passed (which allows the inflammation to go down), and hopefully a better formed stool on its way, I hope he will pass it much easier :)

The prokolin is mostly a probiotic I think, so it shouldn't really have a constipating effect. It's so strange going from constant diarrhoea to having to wait for a poop though - been there, done that!! - you automatically assume something must be wrong the other way! :D

Let us know how you get on

And if you get really keen, there's even a "poop/pee" thread in CatChat ;)

KoolK likes this.
  5. KoolK

KoolK ❤️ Snowy's Mommy ❤️

I'm
    I'm so sorry that your baby is going through this!

Honestly I'm going through a very similar thing with my 11 month old kitten Snowy.

All of a sudden she just started having bouts of dihorrea and nearly all of them were everywhere but not the litter tray .

As you know I got very worried and rushed her to the vet. I was also told to keep her on a blade diet of plain cooked chicken and the vet gave her some medication.

It seemed to have worked but then a few weeks later the exact same thing happened, she started having dihorrea again and nothing had changed (not food or the environment etc) so I called the vet who said to put her back onto the cooked chicken and to monitor her... He gave us a probiotic to give her.

Once we had the money we called a lab and ordered a test kit to test her poop to see if maybe it was a parasite as many other members had thought... I sent the samples to the lab today and will hopefully get the results soon! :)

I know how you feel regarding the dihorrea (excessive popping) one minute and the constipation the other! The exact same thing happened to me!

When it was time to send of the samples snowy decided she didn't want to poop every day and so I had to wait :p

Also, Snowy was also on Felix pouches before and honestly I think it was the pouches that made her 'stomach issues' a lot worse!

There is only a small amount of actual meat, there are a lot of animal derivatives and a lot of sugar in Felix pouches.

I have since began using Zooplus and have ordered the Mac's sensitive canned food for her(200g tins) in lamb and turkey flavours.

So far I think she really likes the lamb (yay!)

Honestly canned food is much better than pouches and it works out much cheaper in the long run for you :)

If you have any other questions please do ask!

Also @chillminx is great in this sector and may be able to help you too! :)

Good luck!
    I hope your baby gets better soon ! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice