Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Pls! Dry Skin...Could it be a food problem??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by BooBeck, Mar 27, 2011.

1. BooBeck

BooBeck PetForums Newbie

Hi Everyone.
    I'm new to the forum and I just have a quick question about one of our dogs.

Keira is a 6 1/2 year old Beagle Collie Cross, we rehomed her about 6months ago now. When we picked her up from the rescue centre they gave us a big bag of Arden Grange Lamb and rice food to start her off on as they had been feeding her this at the centre.
    We fed her on AG and when the food was getting halfway through we decided that we didn't want to continue with it because my hubby had heard that AG isn't brilliant quality food. So we weaned her off the AG and changed her onto Burns Chicken. She's been on the Burns now for a few months however we've noticed that she's starting to get some dry skin on her coat...I've been having a look online and noticed that some people have said that Burns has a very high rice content so I was wondering if that might have something to do with the dry skin on her coat??

We're now trying to decide if we should change her back to AG or onto something different...Either way we need to do something so she can have her gorgeous coat back again.

We have another dog he is a 10yr old Golden Retriever and we have fed him on Hills Senior light for years and he's had no problems but TBH he'd eat anything we put down in front of him!

Any advice from anyone would be brilliant!

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I'd have gone the other way TBH, I personally think AG Lamb and rice is better than Burns.

Review of both here

Dog Food Reviews - Arden Grange Adult Lamb & Rice - Powered by ReviewPost

Dog Food Reviews - Burns Chicken & Brown Rice Adult Dog Food - Powered by ReviewPost

Not that Burns is a bad food, I just think it's over priced for the ingredients.

AG always does my dogs coats wonders, nothing I feed makes their coat as nice as AG. But if you stay with burns, try adding Salmon oil its great for their skin and coat, so you could give that a go.

3. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

4. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i think arden grange is a great food. both my dogs were raised on it, and their coats have always been in fabulous condition.
    big thumbs up from me!

oh and did u get her from the dogs trust? coz i know they use arden grange.

#4 Ducky, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  5. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I feed mine Burns and their coats are fine, but i guess dogs are different from one another
    Have you had your heating on much since you got your dog? i wonder if this could make a difference over time

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I would say if your dog did better on AG and you had no problems with it - then that's the way to go. May be give AG a ring and have a chat with their nutritionist (Ness). She is really helpful. (and will send you some samples).

Perhaps is would be an idea to consider either their Premium or Sensitive?

Some dogs do exceptionally well on Burns - others stay rather lean. To me, for the amount of rice you may as well save a few pounds and get the Skinners Field and Trial hypoallergenic equivalents. Personally I would rather feed as little cereal as possible.

Hope you soon get your little girl back into tip top condition:D

7. mrswoodwoose

mrswoodwoose PetForums Member

I can't comment on the food question, but wanted to say that I found Velcote to be an excellent product - have a google and read the reviews, I think zooplus are the only UK suppliers (but I could be wrong). All the best.

8. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Arden Grange is a very good quality food (I prefer the Sensitive Fish & Potato and Premium variety). Burns is good, quality-wise, but I did find my dog's coat went dry on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice