Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help pls amn

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by mousemighty, Jul 23, 2009.

1. mousemighty

mousemighty PetForums Member

hi i treid to put 2 males togher all hell ripped loose so i seperated straight away? ive took males to petshop before and the males just mixed no problems . ive 3 babys in a tank can i try and put them with another male or shuold i keep them apart like now one on its own an 3 brothers togher, girls are easy to mix but im was shocked an horried to see a mouse do that infact its stressed me never mind no serious wound s

2. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

where did you introduce them? is there a large age difference? with males it can be quite challenging to introduce babies as they don't have the maternal instinct females do.

was it just squabbling or was it proper fighting?

Try putting them in a cage near the older mice and let them get used to them that way.. try introducing them when the babies are older (hence bigger) babies are quite vulnerable.

when introducing them make sure it is somewhere neutral like the normal play area, the bath etc put the babies in something that the older rats can see and smell into (small carrier if you have one) and let them investigate the babies without putting them in harms way. if they get bored or don't seem intent on causing harm.. you can try introducing all 3 babies (either at the same time or one by one) to one adult at a time, make sure there is nothing for the babies to hide so that you can get to them quickly if you need to.

hope that helps.

3. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

mousemighty wasn't trying to introduce male rats, he was trying to introduce male mice. Which you can't do as they will kill each other.

4. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Plus Mousemighty already posted 2 threads about this and had her question answered in the other thread :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

5. mousemighty

i am a man yes i made a mistake psting 2 threads one was in rong place, if you have nothing better to do then tell me ive made a mistake , i was reading other threads and you seem slightly arguementative , i also put i had made a mistake i was looking for help , so pls find some thing constructive to say or pls say nothing thank you as youre wasting my time an yours so ill go and see were other thread is an see what advice was given there

6. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

I wouldn'y recommend introducing male mice that haven't grown up together. I can't put Mintola and Kissifur (brothers who have never been separated) near their dad as they were separated from Chip at 3 weeks of age. They start to fight as soon as they get within junping distance!! I did come across some one who said that they did manage it once. They said that they removed everything from the cages that belonged to either male and put all new stuff in then introduced the males on neutral ground. They also put a dab of vanilla essence on all the males they were introducing to keep them busy but I personally wouldn't chance it.
    Seems odd that you can introduce male rats but not male mice??

7. mousemighty

point taken brothers were ok in a cage but once seprated they do fight as the fight was between son and dad i know now not to do it , i apologise for earlier post was being defencive , due to bein a little stressed over makin a mistake. we;ll thanks again for your great advice :D

8. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

I'm glad I'm not the only one who tried it and learned the hard way!! I didn't realise that male rats could be introduced though, hence the reason I was asking when some one commented earlier!!

9. Winchester

Winchester PetForums Member

It's not the best idea to put 2 male mice together, in fact, it's hard to keep more than 1 male in the same cage without them fighting with each other. Usually the chances are higher if they are from the same litter. But still then you're risking the lives of the mice. Male mice will fight to the death. You can never keep a buck you've used for mating in a cage with another male, so he would have to live by himself.

Hope that helped :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice