Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Please !!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Midnight, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Does anyone know about House mice or field mice ? my daughters friend has just bought a lil baby to me that was in her back garden its looks like he or she has a broken leg :( i've put it in a tank for now with cat milk and water and mouse food ( my daughter has mice anyway) grass and a little sawdust any ideas :confused:x

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

If it has a broken leg I doubt it'll survive, or if it does it'll grow up with a wonky leg. I'd suggest going to a vet to have it looked at to be honest.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

3. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

i would say take it to the vet, but as it is a wild mouse then it will get imprinted and you may need to give it a forever home as it will not know how to live in the wild.

just to warn you i would get some beaphar invermectin to treat any lice, fleas, mites ect that i may be carrying as it is a wild animal and these parasites could pass onto your own mice.

4. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

if you keep it

quarenteen him for 2 months always wash your hands after you hold him, hold him last.

maybe go to the vets get him checked over

You might have him put to sleep, but he should be fine

5. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

The lil mouse is still alive and here ! :D it appears his leg is better he's not dragging it now .. i spoke to the vets and they said cos he's wild if he needed treating it would be free ;) he is eating and drinking and running around i think i may let him go in the field .. but i'm still worried about birds and cats getting him cos he's so small :( the vet said he is ok to live here with us but i think cos he's wild he should be free :confused:any suggestions ?

6. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

if it is a feild mouse then they are pretty small anyway.

if you are still worrid then keep it for a short while but dont handle it and try to keep it as wild as possible, scatter his food on the floor and not in a bowl and place water in a small dish, give him some natural foods like hay. these things will encourage him to stay wild and wont effect him if he goes back to the wild.

i personally would prob just set him free if he is back to normal health. the longer you keep him the less likely it is that he will survive back in the wild as he will forget how to find food/water and make a bed ect.

hope that helps

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice