Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!!! Please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LiLiBoot, Jan 10, 2019.

1. LiLiBoot

LiLiBoot PetForums Newbie

Hi there I'm new on here we have a 13 week old lurcher/collie cross puppy and need some advice with the nipping/biting and lunging, running around like hes hyper, we've tried all sorts toys, saying ow, saying no, ignoring etc but once he's in that hyper mood nothing works till he wears himself out. I have a 7 year old son which he has nipped a few times once quite bad and cut his ear. I really don't want to give him up if it's something that can be sorted because he's a great dog 80% of the time, he's my shadow (which is a pain if I need the loo) so any advice is gratefully received.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF :) you’ve hit the nail on the head - once he’s in a hyper mood, nothing works. The trick is trying to pre-empt it so he doesn’t get to this stage. Pay attention to when this happens and you’ll probably find he’s over stimulated (e.g. after a big play session) or over tired. Is he crate trained, or do you have a safe area for him? Try popping him in his crate with a chew when you think he’s heading towards being over stimuated or over tired.

A few other things that might help are putting a light house line on him (a light lead without the loop) so you can easily direct him away from things without needing to pick him up, and try ignoring him when he is nippy by standing still until he finds you boring, or leaving the room for a minute.

This is VERY common puppy behaviour and it will pass (eventually!). It would be a real shame if you passed him on for being a normal puppy.

3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I would hope not - how long have you had him? 5 weeks?!

Yes this is a trying stage. Give yourself and your son a break by getting some ground rules in place. A puppy pen or some baby gates. When your pup is being an absolute pain, pop him in safe contained area and walk out. Relax. Have a cuppa or something stronger. And a bit of deep breathing!

You know how over tired babies and toddlers get overtired and start to get fractious and hyper? Well puppies are like that too. A bit like babies and toddlers, they do best on a structured routine of feed, toilet, play and rest.

Teach your pup to settle with a well stuffed kong and some chew toys.

Pups nipping should be reducing by 16-18wks of age but you have many many more challenges ahead before your dog settles into a well behaved part of your family. Taking on a pup is a long term commitment with lots of ups and downs.

Check out the puppy support thread in the stickies section.

Tracey3cats, rona, Lurcherlad and 2 others like this.
  4. LiLiBoot

Thank you for replying I hope everyone doesn't think I'm one of those people who just gets rid of a dog because I'm bored it's far from that, I've got 2 Kong's, chewy bones, which I give when he starts the nipping, have an antler, 2 puzzle treat balls, loads of toys, but after a few seconds he gets bored and wants to nip or nick the puppy pads or chew on the doors, cupboards, fireplace etc lol.im in a rented house so can't really afford to be replacing doors etc for the landlord.
    As for walks I go in the day (I work from home which is good for him but not me as I've not been able to do any) when my son is in school as at the minute it's too dark after school, I've read on many forums/info pages that I should only walk him for a walk equivalent to 5 minutes per his month age, I have tried all sorts because we do love him, I know lurcher cross are very energetic I really do, think I just need some advice.
    Sorry this is long winded

5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

He won't be able to damage anything in the accommodation if you keep him suitably contained. It isn't a cruel thing. He can be in the same room as you but just not allowed access to the whole of it.

With the chew toys - you do need to train your pup to love the kong. I did this by making sure ALL my pup's food came from kongs. She learned to tip them over and stay at them til she got all the food out. Sometimes if you hold an end and put something like primula cheese or peanut butter for your pup to lick, it keeps them at it longer. The trick is not to stuff them so tightly that they can't get anything out but not so easy that it's over in seconds. A smelly sardine at the bottom, some grated cheddar and a plug of peanut butter should do the trick. Later you can freeze them to make them last longer.

Are you going to training classes? They are helpful as then you have some structure to your week and a plan to follow.
    Yes, the 5 min rule is right so about 15 mins twice daily. Though if you have a safe garden or bit of beach to let you dog play (and you are not walking but stay on a bench or something yourself) you can let your puppy run freely there as they will run and rest as needed.

Physical exercise often revs them up for more though, it doesn't tire them. Mental exercise tires them more.

Linda Weasel and LiLiBoot like this.
  6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hello I have a little pup and the biting was a bit intense at first. Some good advice given. The five minutes rule is for strict on lead walking do you have anywhere he can have a little off lead play ? I took mine to a puppy party Saturday it was well structured by the staff with pups in different areas kept on leads at first. He slept so well after and was super chilled.

I've got him some puppy puzzles and hide food in it. If I can see he is turning into a crocodile I try to do some training. Just sit and paw at the moment.

This to will pass ! I promise.

LiLiBoot likes this.
  7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

When my pups went hyper, I'd stick them in their crates, turn the light out and leave the room, letting them sleep it off. An hour or so later, they were all sweetness again. I had twin sisters, that I had bred.

LiLiBoot, Boxer123 and tabelmabel like this.
  8. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

It’s just a puppy stage for you to see through, as I have been through and am coming out the other end. It’s reduced for me by 80per cent I’d say in 5 weeks. Just be consistent and try not to react very much to it (harder said than done I know). This will be particularly hard for a seven year old though, so you will have to supervise and intervene, to ensure dog is getting the right message. Have something to distract him with (toy wise). When it got bad with my boy I would quietly remove him from the room for a few minutes. He always came back in calm after that little time out. What Burriwzig said above is very true. Having a nap when tired can really help. Just like how kids act up when overtired!

LiLiBoot likes this.
  9. BeauBeau

BeauBeau PetForums Junior

I'd say lots of entertainment, physical (walking and playing) and intellectual (various methods), and crate training. My dog is 19 months and not once did he put anything in his mouth that wasn't one of his toys. I don't know if its his DNA or the two things I mentioned. But it worked in my case.

LiLiBoot likes this.
  10. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

crate != cage. crate = safe space. You can't argue with mathematics. Make it a den. Dief was a little miffed when we got rid of his but he outgrew it and a bigger one that he could stand up and turn around in would have taken up half the room.

LiLiBoot likes this.
  11. LiLiBoot

Thank You everyone with your advice, I've been doing loads over the last few days, giving him time outs in crate, plus I've ignored him when he's been a bit nippy and that seems to make him sulk and stop, so hoping that's helping.
    Lx

12. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

Well done. The only thing I’d suggest to you is try not to use his crate for time out as it needs to be linked to positive associations only. Maybe remove from room But not locking in crate otherwise you could find him unhappy to be left in it if you need to go out for a bit in future.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice