Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please ~

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by CatAndKitten, Jul 12, 2009.

1. CatAndKitten

CatAndKitten PetForums Newbie

I've adpoted 3 kittens this week - all of them from different people.

I really need to know..

First, what are the odds of one of them having a transmittable disease if their mom was OK and they never went outside?

Second, I made the mistake of letting the two first kittens meet with my resident cat. So now I consider all of them potentially sick. The last kitten I adopted is 'quarantined' in the basement (don't worry, he has everything he needs). So my 2nd question is: I'd like to move this last kitten to my room as the one who is currently there does well outside of it. The only form of cleaning I did was to vaccum the whole floor of my room with a HEPA vaccum and washed it. Could there be anything left of the cat that was in my room (potentially sick) that could harm the 'clean' kitten? I've read that FeLV or one of those diseases is transmittable by hair so I'm very worried right now. :|

Thanks ~

PS:I am planning on taking all of my cats to the vet eventually.

2. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

Hi! A lot depends on whether your resident cat is up to date with their vaccinations and / or has natural immunity from being an adult who had vaccinations when young. A lot of young kittens can harbour respiratory diseases...

As far as I'm aware, Feline leukaemia virus is not transmitted in hair, but rather from bites or extreme close contact with another infected cats. Again, adult cats tend to have some degree of immunity.

It would be safer all round if you kept the new kittens away from the resident cat until they've been checked out by the vet. They will need to be dewormed and checked for any fleas. These are probably the most likely things to pass onto your resident cat.

You say their mothers were healthy, so that's definitely a good sign. Sounds a bit like you're panicking after the event! I'm sure all will be fine :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice