Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Help please!

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by McKenzie, Oct 21, 2017.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hi gardeners, hope you can help me out here.

I bought my house about a year ago. The people before me were apparently keen gardeners. I am not a gardener at all - I don’t get pleasure from it, I struggle finding time, and don’t really know what I’m doing.

At the moment I have a big garden out the front and two garden areas out the back. They are completely over run with weeds and look dreadful.

I really need to do something to make my gardens more manageable (without spending a ridiculous amount of money). All of the gardens have trees in them, so I was thinking of ripping out everything and just putting it back to grass and leaving the trees. Is this a good idea or does anyone have a better idea?

I will leave some of the garden out the front so it doesn’t look completely bare!

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Grass will need to be cut though. Unless you are going for the cornfield look. :D

You might be better off putting shrubs in. You can just leave them to grow. And for neatness, you could surround them in gravel which will help to keep down the weeds as well.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Pictures?!?

I'm a low maintenance gardener. We had our grass removed and a big bit of decking put in it's place, and the rest of it is paved. Everything in pots or planters. Ferns are my best friend (seem to withstand everything; aka I can't kill them).

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

If you do pave, leave gaps between them for the rain to soak away. Otherwise you could risk flooding.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I have lots of grass already, which is ok because I have a lawnmower man who comes every 2 weeks.

I’ve already got decking and paving and I’ve still got loads of grass. The grass I don’t mind, it’s the mess of the gardens that causes me grief.

I’ll just pop out and take some photos for you!

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Ok here the back garden. This bit here is tucked around the back of the garage so you can’t see it unless you go out into the garden. It’s mostly weeds right now.

52CEF524-70A5-4325-B131-921390E41238.jpeg

This bit runs down the fence of the back garden. That hedging at the front hides a whole lot of weeds behind....

D8F97EA7-AE7B-4EE5-9FF6-96E6FF345327.jpeg

And look how good I am at growing weeds!

173D4661-CE5D-46F3-A1A9-0BD7BA793779.jpeg

7. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum PetForums VIP

@McKenzie - to be honest that really doesn't look too bad; it's tidier than mine and I like gardening. Although these days I do have a gardener come in once a fortnight to do the bits I can no longer manage (aged 70, with osteoporosis and recipient of a quadruple heart bypass !).

Once you get the weeds cleared you could put down a weed control membrane to stop them coming back - basically very thick plastic sheeting which you can buy by the metre or in sheets; and then just rely on the shrubs to provide 'interest'.

8. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Weeds are just a plant in the wrong place.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'd be inclined to pay the gardener to clear the weeds and then spend an hour once a fortnight or so keeping on top of them tbh

The plants look fairly low maintenance so an annual trim to keep them tidy should be enough.

Use of a water permeable membrane and mulch of gravel will help to stop weeds coming back and makes it easier to hoe through any seedlings.

Concentrate on keeping the front of the borders clear with a crisp edge and that will make the whole garden look tidy.

Endeavour not to allow weeds to set seed "one year seeds = 7 years weeds"!

McKenzie and Kimmikins like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice