Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sharni14x, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Sharni14x

Sharni14x PetForums Junior

I have a 5 month old cocker spaniel, he is usually fed 3 times per day however he has been really off of his food and rather loose poop's as of the last week or so..

I'm wondering if he is just fed up of the same old food or if there could be an underlying issue with him?

Any advise on how to settle a pups tummy?

2. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

What is he fed on at the moment? He could be getting fed too much, have you increased the amount you are feeding recently??

3. Sharni14x

He is fed a mixture of the Pedigree puppy wet food and the Iams puppy dry food.
    I have actually brought his meals down from 4 times a day to 3 times as advised by my vet!

4. Sharni14x

I only say about the boredom of his food as he is very quick to eat anything and everything else but his own food, which tells me he is hungry!

5. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

When it comes to food boredom in my opinion its a case of tough love. If they don't eat what you put down for them in one sitting then take it away and don't feed till the next sitting.

Also when moving to 3 meals a day have you increased portion size to compensate for less frequency or has portion size stayed the same?

6. Sharni14x

I agree!!
    Yes the 3 meals are bigger to compensate. He is just not interested so meal 1 is being unwilling eaten late afternoon/evening time.
    Would you advise cutting down to 2 meals maybe?

7. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

2 meals should be fine at 5 months!

8. Jasper & Ashes

Jasper & Ashes PetForums Junior

Have you considered worms? Our puppy had this and it turned out to be worms? She was also allergic to the food she was on and now has to have gastro intestinal Junior food :)

9. Sharni14x

He is all up to date with his worming and is regularly wormed once a month so I would have hoped it's not worms.
    How would I find out if he is allergic to the food or not? He is not generally unhappy, he's his normal bouncy self but the food situation is abit of an issue! :(

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Possibly teething. Happens around 5 -7 months.

11. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

I have had cockers for 50 years and have always used raw meat as often as possible.
    These days I am able with the help of the internet and others to feed all raw, both to my adults and also when rearing puppies.
    I find that a raw diet always produces nice firm poo's unless I give too much offal and liver in one go. Puppies never have loose or soft poo's.
    An adult cocker will maintain good weight and condition on 8oz meat and bone per day, a growing youngster may require a little more.
    Appetites are always good, they never refuse a raw meal.
    Could you consider this type of feeding ?

12. Jasper & Ashes

Jasper & Ashes PetForums Junior

Our puppy had lots of worms and had to have an intense wormer, but after this she still had diarrhoea and it turned out she had a sensitive stomach to other foods.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice