Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by lissyya, Apr 8, 2014.

1. lissyya

lissyya PetForums Newbie

hi, I have a 8 week old female rabbit and when I put my hand in her cage she lunges at me and stamps her feet at me, but if my dad tries she is fine.
    I have been told that she could be pregnant is this even possible at this age?
    is it because I am a female and she likes males more???
    please help me.

2. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome.

How long have you had her?

And how sure are you of her age? At 8 weeks she won't be pregnant.

Older does can show hutch aggression by lunging and biting, if someone goes into their territory.

But the chances are, if you haven't had her long, is that she is nervous and still settling in. Your dad is probably more confident, you are more tentative, and she is responding to that.

Be careful how you apporach her - rabbits are a prey species and do not like being approached from above.

For now, you need to win her trust. I would approach the hutch quietly and calmly, talking to her in a soft voice each time. Approach at her level. Offer her a pellet, so that she learns to asociate you with good things. You may then, in time, build up to giving her a little nose rub.

Don't expect her to enjoy being picked up and cuddled. Many hate it, and will scrabble and fight. Get to know your bunny, and find out what she likes.

Other things to think about -

- read up all you can on here.

- vacinnations

- having her spayed - to keep her sweeter tempered and to stop her getting uterine cancer in a few years time.

- make sure her housing is large enough.

A Hutch is Not Enough - Rabbit Welfare Assocation & Fund (RWAF)

- aim to get her a neutered friend (rabbits are sociable, and need company of their own kind)

3. lissyya

lissyya PetForums Newbie

thank you for your reply, I have had her a week now and to start with she was fine I was able to pick her up and stroke her and she is let out daily to run around and was held daily it has been the past couple of days when she hasnt allowed me to even clean her food for her.
    she was born on the 10th February.

4. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

It's early days yet. She's probably just settling in, and finding her feet. Just be gentle and patient with her. Approach her from the front, and at eye level, not above.

Give her chance to come to you, and avoid over handling her.

Things should improve as she gets used to you.

Do make sure she gets lots of fresh hay daily (that should be the main part of her diet). Then give her a small amount of pellet food daily.

5. lissyya

lissyya PetForums Newbie

thankyou for your reply again I have done what you suggest but now instead of coming to me to smell my hand or something she comes to me to nip and scratch me.
    there is always fresh hay in her cage along with food every morning and night and water is always avaliable to her

6. Lopside

Lopside PetForums VIP

How much of the day is she caged for and how much is she out? Sounds like she is getting overly protective of her space for whatever reason :confused:

7. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Oh poor you.

Try not to take it personally.

It's hard to know what is going on here,but somehow you need to break the cycle. I am guessing that you now feel a bit nervous about approaching her.

The vast majority of our rabbits are/have been sweet tempered, but occasionally we've had one that is a bit unpredictable.

But that came later when the hormones kicked in.

We had one doe who was hutch agressive. If I put my hand in, she would lunge and box. Cleanig was great fun. But my other half had no problem, so he used to get her out. Then she would sit on my lap for ages for nose rubs.

Another used to lung and bite, but we found out he was near blind.

She is a very young little bunny, so you have plenty of time to win her trust. Keep talking to her and let her get used to you. If she nips or scrabbles your hand, don't put your hand in - what happens if someone else cleans her out?

Avoid overhandling her for now, and give her time.

Make sure she has enough space to exercise and sleep in, without you moving her to and fro.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice