Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tom, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Tom

Tom PetForums Member

Hey, my name is Tom. I'm 13 years old.

I joined this site in looking for some help. I'm desperate to get a dog, and I think my family are quite interested too.

Now, please, before you say "You're 13. I don't think you'd be able to handle one. You don't know how much work it is.", trust me - I would be bloomin' well comitted. I have read and researched a lot. I love dogs. I know that it's a big responsibility, but I think I would be fine.

I live about a 30 minute walk away from my friends, so it's quite hard for me to hang out with them. My brother isn't exactly the most active person in the world, to say the least. On the other hand, I'm a very active kid. I love going out and running around. I would love a dog - For both the responsibility and for a companion.

However, I have a slight problem: WHICH BREED?! I have done a lot of these internet surveys/questionaires, and three of the most common results are the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, The West Highland White Terrier and the Retriever.

One of the main factors we need to remember is that both my parents work. My dad works full time, but my mum only works 8:30 - 2:30 (6 Hours). Would this be fair on the dog? Is there a specific age they would need to be to be left alone this long? I would certainly be willing to take it to the park every day before and after school. (About 1-2 Hours excercise a day would be great.) We have quite a small garden, but the park it literally at the end of my road.

So the main question I need answering is:

Which breed is right for my family and I? (Considerations: Friendly, Playful, Not too energetic, Can go 4-6 hours on its own) (If we do get a dog, we will near certainly be re-homing one.)

Any replies would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks. :)

Tom. :)

(Ps. Sorry for making it so long. :eek:)

(Ppss. Sorry of this is the wrong section.)

2. AJ

AJ Guest

You could get a dog, it sounds like you'll probably be a very good owner but is it really fair. No dog likes to be left on its own all day. Many people do have a dog and work full time but I've seen first hand just how badly it can affect a dog and I wouldn't advise it.

Also you really need to talk to your family and see how much they are prepared to help. If you're ill whos going to walk your dog? Have they done as much research as you and are they happy with you getting a dog? After all it's their house and as the responsible adults its down to them to make the decision whether you get a dog or not.

3. Tom

Tom PetForums Member

Thanks for your advice mate.

Does anyone know how much it would cost for a dog walker to help? (£££)
    It sounds like that may be more of a feasable option.

4. AJ

AJ Guest

Yeah, we charge £7.00 for a half hour puppy visit and £10.00 an hour for dog walking. If you're going to get a puppy I'd make sure you can afford something like this or have a neighbour that could do the same long term so the dog isn't totally alone all day.

5. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Hi tom , Given your age it is safe to assume your parents will be footing the bill for this dog even if you rehome one there is still a fee to pay for them and then there are vet bills all dogs should have insurance cover you just never know when they are going to get hurt or fall ill.then there is food to buy , given all of these things a dog walker on top !!!!!!. Ive got 2 labrador girls and it costs me approx £80 a month just to keep up the insurance and the food ,this is for 2 but its not that much cheeper keeping 1 . I think you sound very commited to the idea of owning a dog but is the rest of the family , a smallish cross breed from a rescue could be your answer a lot of them come with some history such as if they are used to being left alone for periods of time , others wont if they were found as stray . You need to find out if you would be considered by a rescue place as your parents both work .Good luck Tom
    Andrea

6. Tom

Tom PetForums Member

Thank you very much. Yeah, we still have to sit down and have a really good chat about it.

We're having a loft conversion soon, which should end around July/August, so we won't be getting one 'til then. I've said I will pay some of the cost. Eg. Treats, Toys, etc. It doesn't sound much, but I doubt I'd be paying the fees for things like insurance, dental costs etc. :eek:

And Andrea, we would near certainly get a mongrel/cross breed rescue dog and it would probably be small or medium - About a Jack Russell size would be perfect. This sort of size.
    Infact, Battersea Cats and Dogs is quite close to where I live, so it'd be convienient.

Anyway, thanks guys. :)

Ps. I meant 6 hours alone, not 7. That's been edited now. :)

7. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Hi Tom, you sound very intelligent for a 13 year old may i say. When you and the rest of he family have all sat down and talked about getting a dog then is the time you all go to view one. I work full time and it hasnt effected my dogs they are just even morehappy to see me when i get home and visa versa. Good luck with your search and keep us all informed.Michelle

8. Tom

Tom PetForums Member

Why thank you! :eek:

Yeah, my dad is the main block at the moment. He says he's not a big fan of dogs, but a family we know has a large dog and whenever he sees it, he loves it. So I don't really understand that.

My mum would love one too, but still needs a little bit of persuading.

And my brother. Well, whenever I bring up the subject, he just goes "I wanna cat". I always ask what a cat can do that a dog can't and that's usually where the conversation ends. :D

Plus, he only says that whe I bring up the subject. :mad:

But thank you for advice. I'll keep you all updated. :)

9. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Hi Tom

My son when he was about your age wanted his own dog. His grandparents had a dog but he wanted his own. I thought at the time it wouldn't be fair to the dog as I was working full time.

A stray cat turned up on our doorstep and we had him for about 10 years although he was lovely and did tricks his party piece was backward somersaults it wasn't the same as having a dog.

I have read what other members have said which were my own concerns at the time. Eventually in 2005 we decided to get a puppy. We were fortunate in that I was able to come home at lunchtime and when Duke was old enough he became a driver's mate for my husband for a short time.

I don't want to build your hopes up but our little dog has adjusted well to being left alone for long hours during the day, his only companion is our 14 year old cat. On the other hand my parents dog took a long time to adjust to being left on his own. He was very destructive he chewed everything including making large holes in the walls. Dad became a DIY enthusiast. He did eventually adjust and in time was trusted to have the full run of the house.

Crufts in on BBC2 at 20.00 today and tomorrow which may give you and your family a good idea of which breed would suit you all best (once you have discussed it with them).

Good luck

Sue

10. Tom

Tom PetForums Member

Thanks for your advice. We wouldn't be getting a puppy - Either an older dog or a rescue dog. However, we wouldn't be able to have more than one pet, so it would be alone for 6 - 6[SIZE=-1]½ hours.[/SIZE]

But still, thanks for your advice. I really appriciate all comments. :)

11. warmglo

warmglo PetForums Member

Hi Tom!
    How refreshing to hear from someone of your age who is taking his responsibilities so seriously!
    I was 13 when I got my first dog. I was in almost the same situation as you - mad about dogs, no friends close by, parents working full time etc. My parents were certainly not doggy people, but eventually they caved in, and I still remember the day my Lisa arrived. A border collie, 9 months old. Beautiful! She was my best friend from that day and for the next 12 years. We were inseperable. Apparently they did ask the people they got her from whether or not she was a 'chewer'. She wasn't, but we left her with toys anyway. I had the whole of the summer hols to get her used to being left alone, so when I went back to school she was fine. A doggy neighbour took her for walks at lunchtime. I took her to training classes, even though I had to walk for 1.5 hrs to get there and back again! That led to obedience shows, party tricks etc. All in all a fantastic time the like of which I would wish for anyone to enjoy. I've had several since, all rescued, mostly collies or collie x cos I understand them better than any other. But you never forget your first. So get your ducks in a row, and start looking. Just remember that although all breeds have certain general traits, each will be a different character. Lisa was a collie, but laid back instead of the usual overactive. So ask a lot of questions, and visit plenty of times b4 taking your choice home. Good luck with your hunt.

12. Tom

Tom PetForums Member

Well, first of all, thank you very much for your compliment. :eek:

Next, I never knew Collies could be not too active. But then again, we're surrounded by some elderly people and some workers. So that's a slight problem because we'd have to pay a profesional to do it. :(

But yeah, thank you very much for your comments. They were very helpful. Thanks. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice