Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Ruggy, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Ruggy

Ruggy PetForums Junior

Hi

Aimee, our 9 month old kitten went to the litter tray tonight and did a poop. Everything was normal, solid as you like. Then she started dragging her bum along the carpet and I noticed there was some poop around her backside. It's solid as well, but she's long haired so it is a bit tangled up. Most of it ended up on the carpet and she did it about three times or so.

Three questions for you:

Did she accidentally sit in the poop and was trying to clean it off?

Is it a sign of worms?

I'm reading about anal glands and this being a common tell tale sign?

She's been fine since, other than being in a huff because we tried to clean her backside.

Any advice much appreciated. I'm thinking vets, but not sure if over reacting or not.

2. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

My kitten does it very often. Most of times she does it just because she's happy with a new toy, or see me holding a treat. I've taken her to the vet and there's nothing wrong (no worms, no anal glands problems) so I suppose she does it because it's fun and it puts her scent around (I've found a couple of websites that say that so). You can train her to not do that (considering it's not a health problem symptom). I didn't manage to do that as I laugh every time she does it (I also may be encouraging her by doing that). :D

That's her doing her happy dance while I was showing her a treat. YouTube - Ari's Happy Dance

3. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Mine did it a couple of times when they were very young, they weren't entirely litter trained :(

Since then, it's only happened once that I've witnessed and they're coming upto 13 months old. Pan obviously hadn't managed to get rid of 'everything' in the litter tray, so scooted around until it came off. As it's only happened the once, I just put it down to him not knowing how else to get rid of it.

I personally wouldn't worry unless it carried on over the coming days. But I'm no expert - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong! :)

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

It sounds to me like you witnessed your kitty trying to get rid of what we call a 'clanger' or 'hanger on' :lol:

It only happens now and again when one of the has groomed a lot and the fur gets tangled in the poop usually, so the last one out can sometimes dangle like a pendulum :lol: Or if one of them is startled mid 'flow' they can rush out of the litter tray having not quite finished pushing one out ... gosh this sounds disgusting :lol:

Obviously if it continues to happen and you suspect worms or anything else please do get your kitty to the vet.

5. Ruggy

Ruggy PetForums Junior

Thank you all! It seems it was a clinger :eek: I had a funny feeling that she actually slipped when she was scraping the side of the litter tray and fell on top of one of the poops sitting right on it :yikes:

Cleaned her up and gave her a wee trim last night. She went in a big huff with me though, wasn't happy with the cleaning :nono:

Got up this morning, she's been for a poop and her backside is clean with no streaks on the carpet :ihih: and she was back to her normal self with me, purring and sitting on my lap before I went to work.

Will keep a close eye on it, but it looks like she just decided to wipe her ar$e on my carpet :devil:

6. mezzer

mezzer PetForums VIP

7. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

My longhaired cat Nunu gave my husband the fright of his life when he dragged his bum across the paving: my OH thought Nunu was paralysed from the waist down! Fortunately it was a huge "dingleberry" that got stuck in Nunu's trousers. He is a very fastidious cat.

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Merson is long-haired and has occasionally felt the need to use 'carpeted loo paper'!! :blink: It's nice to know that our babies are SO clean but if he ever comes out of the loo smelling of baby lotion, I will be worried... :eek:

9. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Yes my long haired cat likes to sometimes drag his bum along after doing a poop, cause it gets attached to his bottom, lovely sight to see, especially when you have visitors and he comes sliding past you :D

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

11. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Thankfully mine doesn't get them that often, but when she does, she'll groom it out and just leave it somewhere... Not a nice present to find! I've gotten into the habit of checking her bum every so often now just to make sure there's no hangers on, as I don't think my carpets have done anything to deserve that punnishment! Thankfully, it's a rare occurrance in this house.

12. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

that made me giggle out loud...poor indy..i woke her up...if i stay in one position for more than 2 secs she has copped a squat and is sleeping on me :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice