Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by blkdragon666, May 28, 2010.

1. blkdragon666

blkdragon666 PetForums Junior

Hi can anyone please help me with some advice i got a 6 month old female cocker spaniel yesterday that apparently started her life with two owners that had her,unfortunately they took poppy back to the breeder as there marriage has ended & the husband has got the house & the wife is not allowed near the property,she has told the breeder that she cant get into the house to get her innoculation card so vet has advised that her injections have to be started again,what i would like to ask is how long does it take for them to settle in a new home & with new owners,shes had no training,she does have a few bad habits please could you advise on how is the best way to retrain her gain her trust,she did have a bone & when my husband went to take it she did growl & snap,but she has only done that once now she goes to walk off with it,but she will now let you take it from her are we doing things to quickly should we be giving her a few to settle in before we embark on any training,please any advice is really appreciated as i have a grandchild who adores dogs & i want to make sure poppy will be ok with her.Thankyou.:)

2. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

It can take up to 6 months for dogs to fully settle, but I will promise when it happens it is the most rewarding thing in the world!

3. blkdragon666

Thank you for your reply,but i would like a little more info on the situation,if thats poss.

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I think as for the agrresion over the bone, this is known as guarding. the point is that you are not perceived as a threat. So if you do want to take something away try trading with something of higher value? Not sure what is mroe high value than a bone though. I would never leave children unsupervised with a dog.

5. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

To gain her trust, I would say... Whenever you call her over to you, give her a treat/kibble every time. And to gain her respect, make her sit before going through a door, before food, before play etc.

6. blkdragon666

Thankyou all for your advice we have noticed that she isnt food orientated,we will have to go through the treats & see if there is any she likes,we would'nt under any circumstance leave her unattented with children its just really hard because we dont know a lot about her,but we do know she has had a rough start to her puppy life bless her,& i think its going to take time & patience,she is learning how to play with toys,slowly,she is coming out of her shell a little bit so hopefully we will get there with her,putting ear drops in her ears isnt helping as we took her vets & she has ear infection,so doing that to her is a bit daunting on her,i think she is destressing also,she is eating her food but only in dribs & drabs,& the vet said its either stress or an underlying health problem,hopefully its not,we take her vets tomorrow so we will keep you posted on her progress,anymore advice is very much appreciated.:)

7. blkdragon666

took poppy our pup upto our vets today,she has a clean bill of health,had her first injection,so all is going well,she is comming more out of her shell,she is beging to act like how a puppy should.that is a relif to us all,we still have a way to go with her but with all the time and effort we are going to put into her she will turn out good in the end.:thumbup:

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      68.2 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      63.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Get her used to you handling her, even if you just pretend to do things like putting eye drops in, obviously you have to do the ear drops for now, but don't treat this as a one off situation. My two Labs occasionally get gummy eyes, and because I regularly get them to sit for me and I muck about with ears/eyes/teeth, I have no problem with things like eye drops, or other treatments, they are used to it.

I would suggest once you've finished with the ear drops, buy a bottle of thornit powder (just google it) and use this as a preventative, one bottle lasts ages. It's a canker powder, smells a bit of sulphur, but is very good at stopping them from getting mucky ears, something my two Labs are prone to, as are some spaniels.

Re the bone, if she's guarding food, I wouldn't give her anything she may guard until she's learnt to trust you, but that's just my approach, others may think differently. Also, make sure with a new dog from unknown situations, that you are praising them only when they display the behaviour you want them to, don't kid yourself into thinking when they seem *upset* that you should console them or try to reassure them in anyway, just let them get on with it and go about your normal business. I had an old collie X rescue, who used to occasionally feel that she had to *guard* something, once it was a green bean I'd dropped on the floor, and the only way to stop her was to calmly remove her (hand under collar and popped into a separate room) and leave her to calm down, then just open the door and allow her to join back in without making any fuss whatsoever, no talking or inviting her, just allowing her to join back in when she felt she could.

Hope that makes sense, good luck with your girl and well done for taking her on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice