Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Please - wrong medication?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MCWillow, Jan 24, 2012.

1. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Popped in the vets on the way home as Rowans poos are softer again :rolleyes:

I asked her for some Pro Kolin.

When I got home I tried to give it to him (mission impossible), but then I looked at the packaging and they actually gave me Canikur Pro.

Have just looked it up on VetMeds, and it says its for dogs, whereas the Pro Kolin says its for dogs or cats.

I definitely told her he was a 20 wk old kitten, and she got his records up on the screen so she could see that anyway.

I dont know what to do now - is the Canikur Pro OK for cats? :confused:

2. walkingcarpets

walkingcarpets PetForums Senior

Yes it's fine. Don't worry, they used to do the granules for cats and for some reason stopped so the paste (for dogs) is prescribed. Works like PK

I usually give 1 m of the syringe dosage- 1 or 2 times depends what is needed, it takes a little time to kick in, so you may end up having one more 'soft' stool

Here's a previous link from this forum

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/132993-canikur-pro-paste.html

Hope this helps.

#2 walkingcarpets, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Thank you for that, I thought I would ask here before I phoned them, I knew someone would have the answer :D

She told me to give him 2ml twice a day and if he wouldnt take it from the syringe to wipe it on his paws and he would lick it off!

Yeah right, so he let me know he didnt like the syringe, so I wiped a bit on his paws - that was his cue to start shaking his paws and prancing round the kitchen like a ballet dancer :lol:

Will try again in a min when he has finished his dinner :D

4. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

I have found they dont like the syringe BUT if you get a 1ml syringe and 'suck up' the dosage from the other syringe then use that to give it to them it is better accepted for some reason HTH xxxx

5. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Will get a smaller syringe tomorrow and give it a go - the syringe is huge :eek:

6. walkingcarpets

walkingcarpets PetForums Senior

The other thing you could try is just put it on your finger and pop into his mouth or mix it in with his food. Yes the syringe it comes it can feel intrusive. Hopefully the CP shall do the trick.. I always keep one or the PK in kitty store, was it expensive from the vet?

7. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

It was £13 at the vet for 15ml, on VetMeds its £10 for 15ml.

I tried putting on my finger but he wasnt having any of it - would be alright if they made it taste like hairball paste - he loves that :rolleyes:

8. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Maybe mix some with it? :)

MCWillow likes this.
  9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

If the Pro-Kolin does not do the trick I would recommend Animed - Search Results
    Its worked a treat for Millie's runny bum

MCWillow likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice