Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP PLEASE! We have a local bully!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by ChrisKon, Aug 5, 2014.

1. ChrisKon

ChrisKon PetForums Junior

Hi there everyone,

I have 2 beautiful cats and have moved houses in the past few months. We let them out after a month and they absolutely love it in there new gardens!

But, there is a local cat that kept picking fights with them! They do sometimes stand their ground but this cat is so persistent! He chased my Max up a tree and he couldn't get back down! I managed to get him down after half an hour!

It's horrible coz I hear my lot screetch so loud, it's terrifying!!! I must admit, I did throw water over the cat when it came outside my garden door trying to frighten my cat. Ive learned from neighbours that no one owns this cat and just loiters around the area.

I get it, my lot have come into it's territory. They're cats and are naturally territorial. I recently accepted that they'll have to sort it out amongst themselves.

I came home from work today and this cat was opposite my house chilling. Max and Buena greeted me as usual and local cat saw this....
    20 mins later, I heard my Buena SCREECH SO LOUD!! I saw her trying to come through the flap but the local cat wouldn't let her and kept attacking her! I came out and it ran off. After hugging Buena, I inspected the area and found Urine Right in front of the flap!! Everywhere!! I'm assuming the local bully cat sprayed to mark it's territory?????

What do I do??? What CAN I do?? I don't want to hurt the cat but it's also quite distressing.

Any Ideas????

Thank you in advance

2. ALR

ALR PetForums VIP

I've got a local bully too. It's really hard to stop him doing what he's used to. I've got a water spar gun that I spray on him whenever he steps in the patio but it doesn't completely stop him. It makes him wary though so that's good:ihih:

Can you cat proof your garden?

Also there are cat deterrent like this one: Contech ScareCrow Motion Activated Animal Deterrent: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

I'd keep your cat in for a week and use this in the garden and see if he can keep away. I'd also wash out the parts he's marked with simple solution or any odour remover.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

ChrisKon, if the local bully cat is a stray, as your neighbours seem to think, then the kindest thing you can do would be to see if you can find a place for the cat in a local Rescue Shelter. (Try all the small independent ones). Then borrow a trap from them (or from Cats Protection) and catch him.

A stray un-neutered Tom cat hanging around is always going to cause trouble for your cats, even if you manage to keep him at bay sometimes with water pistols etc.

He has been left entire and abandoned by his owner, and has no doubt been in lots of fights, over territory and females. Sadly he could already be infected with something like FIV, which he could pass on to other cats, including yours, if he were to bite them.

Living rough is no sort of life for him anyway, as he is at risk of injury from fights, as well as disease. He deserves the chance of a good home, and the best way to get that for him is to find him a place in a Shelter.

If the Shelters tell you they are full ask for him to be put on a waiting list for admission and consider feeding him (well away from your house) until they can take him. Then phone the Shelters every week to ask if there is a vacancy yet.

If the wait for a place seems it will be too long, then borrow a trap and catch him and get him to a vet for neutering. Cats Protection will give you vouchers to pay vet fees for neutering a stray. Maybe once he is neutered the vet will help you rehome him if the Shelters can't help you.

If you want to state here which area of the UK you're in, then we could give you an idea of which Rescues in your locality to approach for help.

4. Kyria

Kyria PetForums VIP

I have a local bully too, this cat lives a couple of doors up and belongs to my neighbour. On his own he is a beautiful friendly boy, but he has it in for my youngest cat Nemo.

Everytime poor little Nemo goes out this cat is after him. Sometimes my older cat Tipsy if he is around will chase him away (He is scared of Tipsy) and I must confess I always feel better when I know Tipsy and Nemo are both together outside as I know this cat wont go near Nemo whilst Tipsy is there.

Ive been up to the vet recently because this cat scratched Tipsys eye during a fight and it started to get ulcerated and the last couple of days Ive been up to the vet again as he had bitten Nemos paw which has caused a very bad absess to form.

This cat is costing us so much money by bullying my 2 cats. The vet gave Nemo an antibiotic shot which lasts two weeks which is just as well as yesterday he came in with a torn ear :eek:, which probably is the same cat again attacking my boy.

Nemo is a very gentle cat and incredibly skittish and I think this boy knows it and thats why he bullys him so much :(

5. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Sounds like you have a stray or even feral entire tom terrorizing the neighbourhood. He really ought to be caught and neutered. Not only because he is a health hazard to other cats, but also because he could have a much better and far more pleasant life as a domesticated neuter.

My Romeo was entire until he was caught and rescued at the age of 2½. And you should see him now. The lion has turned into a lamb. He used to be a bully, too, so much so that I initially returned him to the rescue. But once his hormones had settled after neutering, he became a different cat. Very affectionate without being overly territorial or possessive. He now gets along just fine with my other cats.

If you could get him a place in a rescue where he would be neutered and rehomed, you would be doing him a favour as well as your own cats.

6. ChrisKon

Thank you all for your responses so far! Chillminx and Jiskefet, that is some sound advice. I will start contacting rescue shelters today.

I'm glad I posted this as it seems like i'm not the only one going through this and hopefully the advice given can benefit as many people as possible.

Keeping it short and sweet as I'm at work.

Once again, thank you. I shall keep you posted. :thumbup1:

Oh, I am in the London Borough of Redbridge. If you have any contacts or knowledge of particular Shelters, please let me know.
    Thanks

#6 ChrisKon, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  7. ChrisKon

Hi everyone!

Now that I have contacted MANY shelters, I realise how much of an issue this is! Not in terms of having a local bully, but the amount of stray cats there are!! No one has any space and no one is willing to come and catch the cat for neutering! I don't even mind paying the neutering bill!!!

Such a shame really.....:frown2:

If anyone does have any contacts or can point me in the right direction, that would be great. :)

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sorry you have been met with refusals to help everywhere:( I know the Rescues are snowed under atm because of so many kittens.

Most Rescues have their own traps, certainly Cats Protection will have one, and they will lend it to you so you can trap the fellow yourself and get him to the vet.

Or have a word with your vet, as vets often have a trap they will lend out. The traps are often quite large, so you will need a hatchback car with folding back seats to fit it in your car.

If you can manage to trap him and get him neutered it will certainly make a difference to his aggression. As far as getting him rehomed the vet may be able to help you. Sometimes one of the vet nurses will adopt a stray cat who has been brought in, or they may be willing to put up a poster in the surgery asking for a home for him.

But even if, worse case scenario, he is neutered and has to be released back into your community as a stray, I would feed him yourself, (to keep him healthy and stop him needing to fight to get food) and then keep phoning the Shelters every few weeks. Eventually a place will become available, certainly its more likely once the kitten season is over.

If you keep phoning they will know the situation has not been resolved. So often people stop asking and so the Rescues assume the cat has been found a home elsewhere.

Please don't lose heart - this fellow needs your help! :)

9. ChrisKon

Thanks for the words of encouragement Chiilminx! :thumbup:

I must admit, I do find it difficult watching my cat being attacked and have to keep reminding myself that Seb (Yes, I have now named the stray) doesn't have any one to care for him, so emotions aside, Seb shall be cared for!!!

I shall definitely try to borrow the trap and do it myself.

I'll let you know of my progress

Operation LoveSeb commences....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice