Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please!!! Toileting inside

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kc Mac, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

Ok very random but any thoughts/opinions welcome

Buddy has been with me 6 months now and was clean in the house from day one :) However, every now and again he would poo in the living room when I wasn't looking :rolleyes: It happened about a month in and again a couple of months later and thought nothing of it.

About 6 weeks ago, on a sunday morning he had been out first thing, the door left open for 2 hours which he went out a couple of times. Then at 10am I was in the bathroom getting ready to take the dogs to training, walk into the living room to find he had pooed :( There was no reason and no excuse :mad:

BUT I moved on from that and started from scratch to ensure he understood - after every mealtime and sleep time he got put out until he did something, everytime released from his cage straight outside. He got majorly praised everytime he toileted :) so basically treated him like a puppy (he is 2yrs old)to reiterate toilet is outside not in my living room :dita: As a result he is a little more obvious about asking to go out :D

However he will be packing his bags at this rate cos he is a dirty :devil: the little sod went in his cage for dinner. Once finished he was let out. I took the bowls out to the kitchen, loaded the dishwasher, walked into the living room to find he had pooed :mad: just one little nugget :mad: There was absolutely no need for him to do that as the back door was open as has been for a few hours.

I have no idea why he does this, especially as it is so random. I cannot see any reason for it :(

Is there something glaringly obvious I am missing :confused: Really don't know what to do, except maybe invest in a cork :eek: :p

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

How frustrating :( The only thing I can think of is taking a stool sample in to the vet in case it's some kind of infection? I know that may be unlikely as it's so intermittent but it's the only idea I have sorry! :eek:

3. Cazz enigma

Cazz enigma PetForums Member

I am far from an expert, but remember reading somewhere that leaving the door open can confuse them. As they then see the garden area as just another room, not a toilet area. Might be a load of old tosh though.

4. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

Thanks for replies :)

It is so intermittent and today we have been out a lot so its not like he has been cooped up inside all day :rolleyes:

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Try breaking the habit by not allowong him in the front room when you are not in there too. Clean where he has toileted thoroughly with biological washing liquid (Ariel) because dogs have an extremely sensitive sense of smell and though we think we have cleaned properly they may still be able to smell it. Rinse the area afterwards with clear water cloths. Lastly DON'T get angry at him he doesn't do it to spite you. You have to clear it up and say nothing because being angry will make him nervous and create a visious cycle.

You need to break the habit by not allowing access to the front room and ignore his accidents and not lose your temper if you want him to learn as it is pointless telling him off for something done a few mimutes before. If you think he looks guilty it will be because of the vibes he is getting from you and has nothing what ever to do with what he did earlier. He isn't a human and doesn't rationalise like we do.

6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm no expert, but from what you describe it sounds like he only does it when you leave the room. Would that be a fair assumption, or have there been times when you have been in the room and he's still gone? Just wondering if it could be anxiety related? :001_unsure: :confused:

I sympathise with you. I really do. I'd only just got Milly housetrained (September) and in October she started having accidents in the house :mad2:- even in her crate, which is when I knew something wasn't right with her. In her case it was most likely a combination of anxiety from the fireworks and constipation. :eek:

I know from experience it's easier said than done, but try to release your frustrations here and not where the dog can pick up on it. We've all been there and will understand far more than he ever will. :)

GL and hope you get it sorted. :)

7. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

The flooring is all lino and as he is fed raw I usually just use disinfectant wipes as there is not much to clear up. I will use washing detergent next time - if there is one!

To be honest this time I was so frustrated I sent him him outside (also in case he wanted to poo some more :rolleyes:

Due to the layout of my place I can't restrict him from the living room unless I shut him outside or in the bathroom :eek: Its a mobile home with no internal doors except the bathroom :eek: I guess I could shut him in his cage but honestly for the 2 minutes I was in the kitchen it wouldn't occur to me to shut him in!

Also like I said its happened a handful of times in 6 months so its not exactly a habit as its not often, hence I cannot find reason for it :nonod:

You are correct in that he has only done it when I have been out of the room :rolleyes: In fact on one occasion he pee'd by the back door - this was back when he didn't really ask to go out, I just used to let him out regularly. But no he has never done it in front of me in the house, but happy to do it in front of me outside:p

I appreciate your replies and doing my best not to get defensive and make excuses but it would almost be easier if it was a regular thing to be able to recognise the causes and rectify through training! I find it more annoying because I can't find the answer!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice