Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please - sick dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Helen Douglas, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Helen Douglas

Helen Douglas PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help - I have a 4 year old cockapoo. He recently hurt his jaw and was on antibiotics for nearly 8 weeks. He got better then a few weeks later started throwing up. Including excessive grass eating. We saw the vet who gave him anti sickness and advised us to feed him light diet of fish and rice. He’s been on this for 6 weeks with a couple of attempts at reintroducing kibble - one time, his normal kibble and the second time, some new better quality kibble. Both times have resulted in either lose bowels or continued throwing up. We noticed before we attempted transitioning food this time that he was throwing up the rice - whereas previously this seemed to calm his stomach. We’ve taken him to the vet numerous times since he started throwing up to try understand what is wrong - vet takes his vitals, has taken bloods and weight, aside from losing a little weight from the light diet, the vet is happy he isn’t in danger. I don’t know what to do - he clearly isn’t okay as he’s still throwing up his food - I wouldn’t say he’s throwing the entire contents of his stomach but he is being sick and it’s gone from being bile to his proper food. He seems to do it at night and then through the night, wants to go outside to eat grass. I’m not sure what else to do - it’s been recommended to me to have him tested for allergies. I’m just wondering what others can suggest or recommend and/or if anyone has been through a similar thing? He’s generally still a very happy dog.
    You wouldn’t know he’s unwell - his coat is shiny, his bowel movements are generally okay - no blood but sometimes a little mucus but not always. He wants to go for walks and wants to eat. I don’t understand what’s wrong! Any help would be great. Thank you.

2. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

Probotics are a good idea to restore good bacteria after a long spell of antibiotics, I would ask the vet about excessive acid in the tum, zantac helps, mine has a daily dose to stop sickness, but he is old he was being sick after meals and at night it worked a treat, I was told that sometimes as a dog grows older food interolrances develop, mine does not like rice, so try sweet potato and when trying new food, do it slowly, grain free is ideal with a novel protein, low fat. also feed small amounts rather than once or twice, this can help

JoanneF and Picklelily like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I can't help im sorry but what about getting a second opinion from a different vet?

Picklelily likes this.
  4. Adrienn Morrell

Adrienn Morrell PetForums Newbie

I agree that the excessive antibiotic treatment killed off your dogs natural flora. Giving probiotics would certainly not going to hurt your dig, but there's still a massive debate about it's effectiveness in scientific literature. Eight weeks of antibiotics treatment is ridiculous. The environment of a dog's stomach evolved to be very acidic much more than human's so as to kill bacteria such as salmonella. Although dogs fed dry food do develop less acidic conditions. I imagine that it will just take time for your dog to get back to normal. In the meantime, you could try feeding him smaller meals more often that might be easier to digest. If the vet had taken his vitals and blood checked and found nothing then I would tend to believe that it just takes a little longer for him to get back to normal. You could ask for laboratory test of your dog's stools just to be on the safe side.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice