Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help please Ronnie has the runs . is it the raw meat ?????

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by eieio, Mar 30, 2008.

1. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

Hi . can anyone advise me yet again :confused:. i started my dogs (icluding Ronnie 8 wk gsd) on part raw diet (chicken drum sticks, mince,raw eggs,ox heart so far . now all Ronnie had yesterday was chicken drum sticks through the day 3 in total , tuna with cottage cheese ( small amount of cc) . and her kibble ( vitalin puppy plus ) . woke up this morning with her needing the loo 3am and since then she has had the runs . i feel so guilty :( could it be the raw food i am feeding her ? she does love it though. Now as i feel guilty today i am oly feeding her cooked chicen breast and brown rice ? to setle her tummy at least ( is this right ) . but now having second thoughts about the raw diet all together now . :confused:. i have read the giver your dog a bone and to be honest hasnt helped me one bit, just goes ona about how bad commercial dog food is ( which i think we all know that anyway ) . what i wanted to know is what to feed, how to feed , and how much to feed. does not say weather to bye fresh then freeze , or do you freeze all your meat first :confused: then how long do you freeze before you defrsot and give to your dog :rolleyes:. i could do with a book that tells me exactly how to give and what . ( is there a book out there that does this ? ) does anyone know which book would best suit me ? . more confused than ever ow :mad:.

thanks all ( hope your all having a brill sunday ( lovely and sunny here ) :D

2. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

I hope this doesnt come across as being patronising cos I'm honestly not trying to be - I think you would be best buying the best quality complete that you can afford. A bad, unbalanced raw diet is just as bad as a poor quality commercial kibble. Go buy some Burns, James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin for Ronnie and I'm sure he'll be just fine.
    If he had been mine I would have starved him for 24 hours and just made sure he had plenty of clean water available - then started him on cooked chicken/rice or cooked chicken/pasta. I hope he's much better tomorrow:):)

Jenny Olley likes this.
  3. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

Forgot to say Ox hearts are well known to cause squits in pups - I always used lamb hearts when my boy was a pup and moved him on to ox as he got older;) If you continue with the ox just give him a small amount and build it up

4. LetsTalkPetFoods

LetsTalkPetFoods PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Have you had them checked for bacteria/Parasites, such as Coccidia (Coccidiosis), which they can get from the Mother~

I just recently (a few days ago) had someone who contacted me and thought it was the food. She had her 11 wk old pups tested and the vet said they were clean from all these things and then took them back for a second look, because the medication for Diarrhea was not working, and did more tests and they found that all the pups had Coccidia.

COCCIDIOSIS

Just a thought !

PS: Forgot to mention ..I have heard that when one starts raw, pups can sometimes get the runs, so it should be introduced slowly!
    Also, when I started Lil-Lea on human foods, I had to back off and go slower than I was because it caused her to get really weird stools~
    Now, she can eat a lot of different things and not get stomach and/or bowl issues.

ALMOST FORGOT! AND THOSE PUPPIES ARE ADORABLE :)

5. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

Hi Jo thank you for your advise im not offended in the least , thats what advise is for :D. Ronnie stil has the runs ( but muct admit avn't starved her for 24 hours ) its hard when they are a pup to starve. her kibble is vitalin ? is this any good its what the breeder fed her on and also she fed her on ox heart ?????. to be honest i am not going to bother with the raw diet now , this has upset me too much to think i have prob caused this . would you say burns is better than vitalin food ?. i feed my jrt on nutro choice ,would i be better off slowly introducing this to Ronnie (when she is better of course ) . i am just boiling some chicken and white rice for her at the mo . thanks again all for your advise i do appriciate it .

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

sorry to jump in, but Jo may not be on at the moment, Burns is a far better food than vitalin, you will feed a lot less, so make sure you follow the guidelines, if you overfed anything it will give the pup the runs. Any change of food needs to be introduced slowly, especially with a GSD as they can have funny tummies, I'm lucky my two have cast Iron stomachs, but lots don't.

7. AJ

AJ Guest

Same here Milo can eat anything and be fine but I have to say putting him on a raw food diet was the best thing we ever did.

Dogs often see side affects of detoxification from changing to a raw diet, diahorrea being one of them. One of our pups had diahorrea for two days after going on the raw diet but now she has perfect stools everytime and not many of them either! Makes toilet training a hell of a lot easier!!! :D

In my opinion the best way to introduce it is just to feed muscle meat and bones for a few days and then introduce organ meat a bit later as its very rich in nutrients and can cause diahorrea if fed too early or in too large amounts. Some say its a good idea to introduce it slowly with dried commercial food but I can't really see the benefit of doing that, your making the transition period longer and putting crap into their bodies still.

We try to feed meat fresh as often as possible as its the best way to feed raw but to be honest most of it has been frozen as its just not practical to go to get fresh every day.

Personally I would never go back to commercial foods now, we even gave the free sample you get with your puppy pack to charity.

Lastly, I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad start to raw feeding but I hope it's not totally put you off. Any questions you have I'd be more than happy to answer and I have a couple of good books that do tell you what to feed which I can give you the name of if you want? :)

8. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

Thank you Jenny i shall go and get some burns . do you feed a raw diet atall ? ( if im honest i think i may have over doe it with the raw meat ) got abit excited :(. thanks for advise .

9. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

ajshep thank you for your advise and offer to help . to be honest yes i have been put off by this , i just feel so guilty that i have caused Ronnie to be sick . i shall pm you know for some advise thank you :D

10. AJ

AJ Guest

No problem. Theres really no need to feel guilty fo trying to do the best by your dog! :)

11. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

Hi ajshep have just sent you a pm .

1 person likes this.
  12. AJ

AJ Guest

Just replied ;) Sorry if its a bit long! Tried to keep it quite simple cos I can remember getting sick of re-reading things to understand them when I was reading up about it!

13. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

You may want to opt for the raw diet when your GSD is a bit older and isnt so affected by the change . so for now go with a good dry food and maybe after 6 months old try again but young dogs will always have the runs if your not carefull . Our lab girls are just over 12 months and i feed them a raw diet at the weekend they have 200 gms of raw meet each and a load of raw veg sometimes with a bit of pasta part cooked . during the week i feed them on pero labrador food but this can be fed to any dog not just labs its based on salmon and brown rice with no added nasties . they also do a food that is all orgainc the chicken in it is grade A human consumption quality its on spescial offer at the moment from there web site free delivery on all orders too , they will happily send you samples to try but you must make any transition over a longer period of time say about 2 weeks .

14. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

We feed a mixture of complete, and raw chicken, and sometimes veg, exactly what the books tell you not to do. It is possible you were just overfeeding your pup.

15. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

Thanks everyone for replys and advise , thought ide give you an update on Ronnie ( well she is much better :D, only one poo today which is much more firm than last 2 days ) so i am ver the moon . all i have been giving her is boiled chicken and rice , now from today have added some of her usuall vitalin kibble with it adding a small amount of the new kibble i am putting her onto ( holistic nutro choice puppy ) . then hopefully when i am brave enough will try the raw again ( this time much more slower :eek: ) with maybe just chicken and lamb to begin with for first 2 weeks . :D.

thanks again for all your help :D

16. Angelicats

Angelicats PetForums Junior

Hi,
    No wonder the pup as the runs being feed all that, it needs a more stable diet.

17. AJ

AJ Guest

Yep agreed, you need to decide what you're going to be feeding and stick to it. Gradually introducing a food would be pointless now as you don't have a starting food anymore. Decide what to feed and stick to it. The more you swap and change the more problems you are going to have! :)

18. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

Hi yeah i know :eek:, i did get a BIT over excited with the raw diet (with all the choice of food it offerd :eek:) ( forgetting she is only a !!!! PUPPY!!!!! :eek:) I wont be doing that again ill tell you . poor girl :(.

now she is better when do i replace all the chicken and rice for just her usuall dry food ? or should i contintue with the boiled chicken and rice for a few more days ? :confused:

thanks

19. AJ

AJ Guest

Whatever you want to feed her long term start feeding it now! :)

20. garryd

garryd Guest

good point jo;)chicken/ boilded rice will allways get rid of the runs;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice