Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Help please, quick easy trick for a giant pup.

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks and Games' started by Bigdogswinmyheart, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Bigdogswinmyheart

Bigdogswinmyheart PetForums Member

Our Trainer has set us a challenge, teach your dog a new trick over christmas.
    Our pup is an Anatolian Shepherd (with bits of St.Bernard, Kuvazs and Retreiver in her) she is 15 months old and is enormous, (64kg and 34" at the shoulder, and is growing an inch a month)..

She has learned sit, lie down, touch (with nose on hand), kiss (with a pucker, no licking), walk back, and paw (although we don't encourage paw because we would like her to be a therapy dog and that paw is heavy!).

I've looked on line and all the tricks seem impossible for a dog that's the size of a small pony;
    a)Roll over is simply impossible without destroying something (those legs go on forever lol).
    b)Standing (on her hind legs) can't be done, because I'm so small I can't hold the treat high enough, and I'm worried that she might hurt her knees or hips because she's still growing.
    c)Taking a bow invoves lifting the dog by the belly while holding a treat under her nose from lying down.. Not possible because my arms are not long enough and I can't lift her belly from the lie down position because she is so heavy.

So does anyone have any idea's at all? I'm stumped! picture for cuteness 2016-09-20 07.48.21-1.jpg

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Crawl? Twist?

You dont need to manhandle a dog to teach a bow. Or touch it at all tbh.

3. Bigdogswinmyheart

She crawls already, what do you mean by twist? and how can I teach her to bow without touching her? (We've only had her 5 months and she's learned so much already I'm pleased silly already :)

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Twist - spin in a circle.

Does she naturally play bow? I just captured my dog doing it. Isnt that called free shaping? I dunno - i mainly wait until my dog does something naturally, click and reward and wait for him to figure out what exactly he has done that is right. He's a smart cookie, so it doesnt take long. Sometimes i lure, but he tends not to like this sometimes for some reason.

I think Kikopup has a pretty good video to teach a bow, although im sure she is the one that teaches it from a down, as it bottoms up.

What about paws up like a circus elephant.? I use a tiny stool.

Bigdogswinmyheart likes this.
  5. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

Speak?
    Hide face with paw?
    Shake?

6. Bigdogswinmyheart

I thought about spin, but she automatically goes into 'omg it's that thing again, Must catch it' mode (as in chases the tail banging into everthing and everybody in sight!)

the paws up is a really good idea though, training in in a horse arena with a step for people to get on horses :)

7. Bigdogswinmyheart

We try to avoid speak she is very loud, and she has to be quiet if she is going to pass her therapy dog assessment.
    Hide might be an idea though :)

8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

How about circling around you whilst you walk slowly forward - that looks quite impressive and is pretty easy to teach. Reversing around you whilst you walk backwards looks even more impressive but's a bit more difficult.

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Spin both ways, circle around you, circle around you backwards, send away around an object, lift paws one at a time (marching), cross paws over, fetch a particular toy (teach their names), hold something in her mouth, pick something up and drop it in a box....

We really should revive that trick challenge thread!

kittih, BlueJay and Bigdogswinmyheart like this.
  10. Bigdogswinmyheart

The only problem with that is she is a scatter brain, and she can't be off the lead yet because if she see's another person or dog, she will lose interest in me and run off to say hello and has absolutely no recall! One day we'll crack that because I won't give up on her.

11. Bigdogswinmyheart

It must be a trick that can be done with a lead on :/

12. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Ah that limits your options rather. You say she will do a hand touch so you could teach her a different heel position. Instead of walking by your left side she could do it in reverse with you walking backwards and her touching your left hand but facing you if you see what I mean.

13. Bigdogswinmyheart

She can and will do that, but the trainer doesn't know :') if I can't get a new one I'll do that ha ha ha ;)

14. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

You could use a target stick to teach her to jump up on her hind legs so that way you can hold the stick above her head? Bow shouldn't require any physical manipulation. I taught my dog by luring him into a bow, slightly moving the treat towards him as he goes to lie down. Spin is pretty simple. Beg, or sit pretty whichever you want to call it is another one. Crawl, back up, speak on command?

15. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

16. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Glue - a variation of touch where the dogs nose sticks to your hand like glue. Everywhere your hand goes so the nose follows.

Pushing a ball along with nose.

We used to do circle on the lead. Dog would circle clock wise or anti lock wise around me as a walked forward or back wards.

17. Bigdogswinmyheart

For an idea of size (compared to me) This was when I held a treat up... but I do worry about causing issues with her hips/knees 2V8A3514 copy.jpg

18. Bigdogswinmyheart

anything through the legs is not an option without stilts for me *giggles*

19. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I taught a very small lady with a huge St Bernard heelwork to music several years ago. Providing the music and the moves are suitable it can look very beautiful and elegant.

20. Bigdogswinmyheart

In the past 5 months she's learned all of that and will during training let me wrap her lead round her and she will walk beside me like an angel, sit or lie down and wait before moving towards me (when prompted), but the second her lead is off she's a different dog o_O from angel to devil dog in 1 click

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice