UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to owning a kitten and need help with him please. He is snow spot british short hair, I purchased him a few weeks ago but have already been to a vet 3 times. He has a possible infection in both eyes so has eye drops and has had diarrohea for days ever since I had him. The vet said that the royal canin wet and dry food is too rich for his stomach so has told me to feed him chicken,rice,fish. I have done for 2 weeks and have given him complete james wellbeloved dry food which he doesnt like very much. I feel that what I am feeding him is not enough he seems to scrounge for food. I am really worried about him as he is only 10weeks old. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
You shouldn't be giving him rice, and you shouldn't be giving him chicken and fish as his main diet for 2 weeks!! :eek:

He is probably scrounging because the main diet doesn't contain all the nutrients he needs.

The Royal Canin may have upset his tum because of the grain content, I would advise trying a high meat content wet food, like maybe Bozita (not that mine will eat it!!) - you can get alot of better foods on Zooplus.com :)

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Can't have been from a reputable breeder getting him at that age then. What is a snow spot bSH? Never heard of that before.

Wet food that is good has a high meat content. Here is my regular missive.

Hello there,

Firstly if you can try to get them off the dry - they do love it - but we like cake but don't eat it all the time! It's full of completely unnecessary carbs that are there to bulk the food out and make it cheaper for the manufacturers to produce. Add to that that cats find it incredibly hard to metabolise you end up paying for them to poop it out. The additives and sugars that are in dry are a contributory factor to feline obesity.
Also dry is incredibly dehydrating for cats as cats have evolved to get 99% of their fluids from their prey and so have no natural thirst drive. For each 50g of dry they eat they need about 1/2 pint of water to counteract the dehydrating effects. Even with a water fountain most cats find this a hard amount of water to drink.
Dehydration can lead to kidney problems, UTIs and crystals forming in the bladder. This is especially bad for neutered boys (no idea why neutered) but boys because they have a longer urethral tract and often the crystals get stuck in their willy when they try to pass them and it is incredibly painful. Obviously not all cats will get this - but you have to weigh up the risks and decide to do what is best for you.

The worst wet is better than the best dry. Yes even Whiskas and Felix!

For wet the higher the meat percentage the better. I like to feed anything above 60% but tend to go for 97% or more, watch out for the offal content though.

I personally feed a mixture of raw, Bozita, Aminonda Carny (was feeding Smilla but it's just changed and I won't be buying it again), and Grau, I have fed Natures Menu and Hi-life in the past, and probably will again to replace the Smilla. Other good ones are Petnatur, Tiger etc. These foods are found either at Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus or other german suppliers. Other have ordered from the other suppliers but I haven't had the courage yet. Nature's Menu can be found at [email protected] as can Hi-life.

If you really need to feed dry - look at Orijen, Applaws, and Acana - these are grain free.

As with all good food they may seem more expensive (wet and dry) to begin with, but you feed less and they poop less, AND it's a lot less smelly.

Hope that helps.

Page Cannot Be Found
Does Dry Food Clean the Teeth? | Little Big Cat
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
cat nutrition - blog
Feline Urinary Tract Health: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat urinary tract health
Kidney Failure in Cats Symptoms and Treatment

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Also if you vet is Rubbish as you have said then I would look round your area for a vet that you will have confidence in.
It will pay off in the end as through out the life of your new kitten he will be needing the vets. Hence you will be having him neutered soon.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Hi, Thanks for your replys, I have decided to try him on the hi lfe wetfood or the applaws can anyone tell me which one is better. Thanks
Hilife is better :)

Applaws wet food should not be given very often as it doesn't contain all the nutrition a cat will need.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, I have bought him hi life wet meat today, he doesnt like it, I really dont know what to give him, I also purchased advanced nutritional dry food he has had a mouthful of that but he would rather just ear cooked chicken allday. Any other ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
You may need to try him with several different high meat content foods before you find one he likes. But it is important you get him off the chicken only diet as it does not have all the nutrients as others have said. The longer you leave him on it the harder it will be to get him to eat anything else. Pure chicken or steamed fish should only be given for a day or two to settle the stomach.

Have a look at the Grain-free canned high meat content foods on Zooplus, as cats with digestive troubles may tolerate grain free foods better.
Also, for the short term, until he is stable you may want to look at
"Sensitive" foods too. If you order from Zooplus in bulk spending more than £19, delivery within mainland UK is free.

Here are the grain free foods:

Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus

Here are the sensitive foods:

Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, Do I need to feed him on wet or dry food or just dry food as I am finding it difficult to get off the chicken only diet. I Have bought him asda tiger kitten, but he didnt like that either. Will try something else. He doesnt seem to eat much at all is that normal for a kitten. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can only find silver not snow on the Internet. Do you have the paperwork from the breeder, my transfer of ownership slip (was pink now white) has my girls colour on it.
Hi, He didnt come with any paperwork except her breeder id number, 4weeks petplan and some royal canin wet and dry food which was giving him diahorrea thats why he was on chicken, fish diet only. He is hardly eating anything at the moment so i am worried about him.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But did you click into any of the information, googling will also pick up "spot" "BSH" but can't actually find the words snow spot. - I could be wrong though.
Hi, yes I have looked up snow spot british shorthair, and clicked on images, it looks just like him, so I guess thats what he is.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Have you tried giving him like 75% chicken and 25% wet food and then decreasing the chicken and increasing the wet food daily? So he can get used to the wet slowly?

When we got Romeo he had diarrhea the vet explained it as "almost pouring out" of him! So we did a week of antibiotics and bland food.. within 3 days of going back on wet food - which at the time was Whiskas and a cheap tesco dry food :thumbdown: the diarrhea came back!

The vet wanted to a fecal test but I asked if I could try something else before we spent out for more tests... I changed his food to a grain free one and we haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Hi, He didnt come with any paperwork except her breeder id number, 4weeks petplan and some royal canin wet and dry food which was giving him diahorrea thats why he was on chicken, fish diet only. He is hardly eating anything at the moment so i am worried about him.
Spid mentioned makes of food in an earlier post, also said that wet is better.
If your kitten will still eat chicken you could try mixing a little shredded chicken in with the cat food.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.